• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How long does it take to get a pistol permit in CT

jim k

holding pattern in wtby ct

filed for my temp permit in Waterburyct aug 28th this year. was told by the lady behind the counter that It could take up to 6 months. im looking to find out how long its taken some fols to get their permit in Waterbury ct. thanks.

Johearn

20 weeks and a day from submittal to temporary permit issue.

Took 6 weeks for the state to receive payment from town and enter me into the SPBI background check queue. This was wasted time, when submitting your application kindly remind the officer in charge of the statute mandate of 5 business days to forward both application/fingerprints as well as payment (I can provide citation of the exact paragraph later when I have it in front of me, assuming this hurts solus' feelings).

13.5 weeks for SPBI to burn through the queue and then conduct criminal background check and return results (along with FBI national check) to town. Not much you can do about this, the statute provides cover for the state in cases where the criminal history check is not complete in 8 weeks (cite can be provided later). The town is also pretty powerless to speed up the state as they have no real influence either.

0.5 weeks for town to check the criminal check results, have chief of Police approve, and notify me that my temp permit was available. This was executed in less than the mandated 5 business days (again can cite later if needed) so shout out to the detective in charge for getting it done promptly.

If you are submitting in a town that does it all by the book, looks like average wait time should be right around 14 weeks with the majority of the delay coming from the state. If your town is slow either through ignorance to the statute or willful violation it could be more like 20. Hope this helps anyone about to begin the process!

19LG

20 weeks and a day from submittal to temporary permit issue.

Took 6 weeks for the state to receive payment from town and enter me into the SPBI background check queue. This was wasted time, when submitting your application kindly remind the officer in charge of the statute mandate of 5 business days to forward both application/fingerprints as well as payment (I can provide citation of the exact paragraph later when I have it in front of me, assuming this hurts solus' feelings).

13.5 weeks for SPBI to burn through the queue and then conduct criminal background check and return results (along with FBI national check) to town. Not much you can do about this, the statute provides cover for the state in cases where the criminal history check is not complete in 8 weeks (cite can be provided later). The town is also pretty powerless to speed up the state as they have no real influence either.

0.5 weeks for town to check the criminal check results, have chief of Police approve, and notify me that my temp permit was available. This was executed in less than the mandated 5 business days (again can cite later if needed) so shout out to the detective in charge for getting it done promptly.

If you are submitting in a town that does it all by the book, looks like average wait time should be right around 14 weeks with the majority of the delay coming from the state. If your town is slow either through ignorance to the statute or willful violation it could be more like 20. Hope this helps anyone about to begin the process!

It took me 14 weeks, 4 days. Application submitted in July 2018. It was actually approved in 14 weeks, 1 day but the approval was mailed.

jim k

update, filed for my permit aug 28th as previously stated. got a call from wtby pd on fri dec 14th saying that my temp permit was waiting for me at the pd. got a hold of the folks who wrote reference letters for me for the process, thanked them for their help and letters and mentioned that none of them had called me to say they got a call from the pd. they responded that they had not received phone calls from the pd. I was told by the pd initially that they would absolutely be calling my references. either way, temp approved, Middletown next. just over 14 weeks to get permit approval. even though its only supposed to take 2 months

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
update, filed for my permit aug 28th as previously stated. got a call from wtby pd on fri dec 14th saying that my temp permit was waiting for me at the pd. got a hold of the folks who wrote reference letters for me for the process, thanked them for their help and letters and mentioned that none of them had called me to say they got a call from the pd. they responded that they had not received phone calls from the pd. I was told by the pd initially that they would absolutely be calling my references. either way, temp approved, Middletown next. just over 14 weeks to get permit approval. even though its only supposed to take 2 months
Just a question????? Did you post this from your phone/touch pad, versus a computer with an actual keyboard? The reason I ask is there is almost no capitalization or punctuation and the use of shorthand terms. This is not facebook. Again, it's just a question.

ideliver4you

holding pattern in wtby ct

filed for my temp permit in Waterburyct aug 28th this year. was told by the lady behind the counter that It could take up to 6 months. im looking to find out how long its taken some fols to get their permit in Waterbury ct. thanks.
Hi have you received your permit yet? Just curious as I recently applied in Waterbury and would like to know how long to expect to wait

toni69x

Hi have you received your permit yet? Just curious as I recently applied in Waterbury and would like to know how long to expect to wait

I did my application in waterbury and after 8 weeks i followed the process here for an appeal. No more than 2 days later the sergeant called me to head down to the station to “finish” something “i forgot” on the application(which was bs). A few days after that, they called me down to get my temporary permit. I went to middletown the same day and got my state permit. Don’t hang around waiting for months. I have a friend thats been waiting for over a year. They have to make a denial or approval within the 8 weeks. If they don’t they are breaking the law.

solus

So again, this discussion on the premiere OPEN CARRY site is concerned about how to obtain a conceal carry permit/license privilege document, because?

OC for ME

Permits are repugnant to the US Constitution, specifically the 2A. If a permit is what is required to carry, OC or CC, in CT then a permit is what is required. The rub is that CT is infested with liberals and as such they are anti-individual liberty. Those citizens of CT who value individual liberty should vote with their feet since voting via the ballot box has not lead to a restoration of individual liberty.

In other words, continuing to live in CT sends a mixed message to the liberals, that they enjoy...essentially "Complain all you want while we will continue to collect your taxes to further enable the infringement of your constitutionally guaranteed rights.

Pistolapete

Hey guys, i also applied for a CT pistol permit, on Nov 13th 2019. It is now March 4th 2020. So 16 weeks, so far, and no permit. Called Colchester PD, a few times, and they just say, "oh we are just now getting background checks from October". Are you kiddin me! I called a gun law attorney, and he said he could file an appeal for me. I imagine i could file my own, but this shouldn't be happening. Could we all file some kind of class action suit against the state? Can't wait to leave CT!

solus

pistolapete,
while the thread is going on for +/- 7 years discussing the trial & tribulations of CT citizens pursuing the coveted privilege card to carry a concealed SD handgun.

the previous CT forum members who contributed to this thread have received the blessing and do not care anymore due to their reaching and receiving their grail.

further, CT posters were given guidance by other knowledgeable out of state members on methodology which could/might/maybe mitigate the CT privilege card gauntlet - all to no avail.

from a perspective of cynic- why waste your $$$ with a civil suit which won't change a blood thing to the process per se, for future citizens seeking the CT grail; but rather seek out & join a viable CT grassroot advocacy group and grab the banner with other like minded citizens to change the culture and statutes and hold those who are responsible for issuing privilege card to citizens statutorily accountable!

cheers

ps: first mistake was to call instead of return receipt asking the status. not one shred of evidence you asked about if ya go to court ~ just an opservation.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
CONSTITUTION OF THE STATE OF CONNECTICUT
ARTICLE FIRST.
DECLARATION OF RIGHTS
That the great and essential principles of liberty and free government may be recognized and established,
WE DECLARE:
SEC. 15. Every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570, 592, 171 L.Ed 2d 637, 128 S.Ct. 2783 (2008)
Second Amendment . . . indicate: ‘wear, bear, or carry . . . upon the person or in the clothing or in a pocket, for the purpose . . . of being armed and ready for offensive or defensive action in a case of conflict with another person.’” Id., at 143 (dissenting opinion) (quoting Black’s Law Dictionary 214 (6th ed. 1998)). We think that JUSTICE GINSBURG accurately captured the natural meaning of “bear arms.”
Why do you need permission from the state to carry? Your constitution says you already have the right.

Pistolapete

District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570, 592, 171 L.Ed 2d 637, 128 S.Ct. 2783 (2008)

Why do you need permission from the state to carry? Your constitution says you already have the right.
Exactly. But for some reason, we are at the states mercy.

Pistolapete

pistolapete,
while the thread is going on for +/- 7 years discussing the trial & tribulations of CT citizens pursuing the coveted privilege card to carry a concealed SD handgun.

the previous CT forum members who contributed to this thread have received the blessing and do not care anymore due to their reaching and receiving their grail.

further, CT posters were given guidance by other knowledgeable out of state members on methodology which could/might/maybe mitigate the CT privilege card gauntlet - all to no avail.

from a perspective of cynic- why waste your $$$ with a civil suit which won't change a blood thing to the process per se, for future citizens seeking the CT grail; but rather seek out & join a viable CT grassroot advocacy group and grab the banner with other like minded citizens to change the culture and statutes and hold those who are responsible for issuing privilege card to citizens statutorily accountable!

cheers

ps: first mistake was to call instead of return receipt asking the status. not one shred of evidence you asked about if ya go to court ~ just an opservation.
Thank you for your reply. I do know many people, right now, who are going through the same thing as me. Although i do agree it is tough to get the upper hand with a government agency, we still need to take a stand. I'm not worried about a paper trail. All of my paperwork is documented and copied. Also, there is a CT statute(529 division of state police), regarding time limits, pertaining to when they need to contact you, regarding approval, or denial of your temp. permit. So at 8 weeks, and no contact, the state is breaking the law.

solus

while you presume to be the brand new champion, you might read the seven years worth tales of woe covering 32 pages & 636 postings from your fellow CTs who say the exact same thing...
1. CT statutes lay out time lines
2. state government personnel are breaking the law
3. OMGoodness something must be done

yes pistolapete,
CT statutory outlines time lines;
but as mentioned, the individual state personnel doing the work aren't being held accountable - therefore don't care; certainly the "agencies" doing the work are above reproach - saying their underpaid yet dedicated employees are working as quickly as possible & citizens must be patient & show understanding!
and the legislative body shrugs say they did their best to get CT citizens the ability to conceal their personal firearm for their personal defence.

if you instigate a suit, the agency will immediately have your permit in court saying there was a problem but "we worked it out as quickly as possible" ~ case dismissed, oh wait got the legal beagle holding out their for payment of services!

Pistolapete

while you presume to be the brand new champion, you might read the seven years worth tales of woe covering 32 pages & 636 postings from your fellow CTs who say the exact same thing...
1. CT statutes lay out time lines
2. state government personnel are breaking the law
3. OMGoodness something must be done

yes pistolapete,
CT statutory outlines time lines;
but as mentioned, the individual state personnel doing the work aren't being held accountable - therefore don't care; certainly the "agencies" doing the work are above reproach - saying their underpaid yet dedicated employees are working as quickly as possible & citizens must be patient & show understanding!
and the legislative body shrugs say they did their best to get CT citizens the ability to conceal their personal firearm for their personal defence.

if you instigate a suit, the agency will immediately have your permit in court saying there was a problem but "we worked it out as quickly as possible" ~ case dismissed, oh wait got the legal beagle holding out their for payment of services!
Just ONE of the many reasons people are bailing out of CT.😁