• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How long does it take to get a pistol permit in CT

HJS

I think they have 5 business days to send in the fingerprints.

Even if that is true there’s nobody is forcing them to do so. Unfortunately all you can do is wait then wait some more then say thank you when they finally give it to you. It’s a ridiculous system but there’s no way around it. I learned the hard way.

19LG

If the issuing authority didn’t send my fingerprints and application in within 5 business days, would that be grounds to file an appeal with the board? Based on SPBI backlog I’m already sure they are going to blow right past 8 weeks. When I was being fingerprinted the officer told me they are approving permits in 6-8 weeks. Maybe they meant months? LOL

Even if that is true there’s nobody is forcing them to do so. Unfortunately all you can do is wait then wait some more then say thank you when they finally give it to you. It’s a ridiculous system but there’s no way around it. I learned the hard way.

Dillinger33

East Haven Pistol Permit taking too long!

New here, I’m at 13 weeks currently. It will be 90 Days exactly on July 20th since everything was sent out on April 18th. Every time I call the department, they either never give me a straight answer, or tell me they’re waiting on the state, and then it will take East Haven an additional two weeks! What gives? Is there anything I can do?

HJS

If the issuing authority didn’t send my fingerprints and application in within 5 business days, would that be grounds to file an appeal with the board? Based on SPBI backlog I’m already sure they are going to blow right past 8 weeks. When I was being fingerprinted the officer told me they are approving permits in 6-8 weeks. Maybe they meant months? LOL

It depends on when you submitted your application with the town hall. The state is supposed to give you a response with in 8 weeks and after that 8 weeks you can file an appeal but it will be a
Year before you see the board which by then you’d probably already have your permit in hand. As for filing an appeal it won’t make things move Any faster but if by some chance you haven’t received your permit within a year of submitting your application then the board will force the town hall to issue you a temp permit regardless if the background check has been completed or not. You should try calling your town hall and ask if your fingerprint have been submitted then id call the number I gave in the previous post to find out if they have you in the system. Either way it’s most likely going to be longer than 8 weeks. I was told 8 as well when I submitted my application back in April and when I called after 8 weeks i was told it’s currently 10 weeks.....well here I am 13 weeks later still nothing.

HJS

New here, I’m at 13 weeks currently. It will be 90 Days exactly on July 20th since everything was sent out on April 18th. Every time I call the department, they either never give me a straight answer, or tell me they’re waiting on the state, and then it will take East Haven an additional two weeks! What gives? Is there anything I can do?

I’m at 13 weeks as well. I submitted mine on the 19th of April. Unfortunately there is nothing you can really do but wait. If you call 860-685-8480 they might be able to tell you if they are working on background checks from when you submitted your application. I called them last Monday and they said they were currently working on applications from 4/14.

Guns

Waterbury

I enjoy following this thread since I've been waiting forever. In March I submitted all of my paperwork. 3 months to the day in June my references were called. It's been 31 days since they were called marking the 4 month period for me in Waterbury. Still nothing in the mail yet.

Dillinger33

I enjoy following this thread since I've been waiting forever. In March I submitted all of my paperwork. 3 months to the day in June my references were called. It's been 31 days since they were called marking the 4 month period for me in Waterbury. Still nothing in the mail yet.

I was told by Hartford Cop that when it takes this long you have to call your local PD and almost harass them regarding the status of your permit. The local PD’s try to delay it as long as possible hoping you’ll just forget and they’ll issue it when they want to. But past 8 weeks is the deadline according to CT Law. I can’t believe how long this is taking for us.

Guns

I was told by Hartford Cop that when it takes this long you have to call your local PD and almost harass them regarding the status of your permit. The local PD’s try to delay it as long as possible hoping you’ll just forget and they’ll issue it when they want to. But past 8 weeks is the deadline according to CT Law. I can’t believe how long this is taking for us.

I called one time and they told me they are not able to check the status of permits

19LG

If you read this thread you see the time to get your permit approved ranges from 2 weeks - 16 weeks, I'm not sure if the issue is the local PD or the State. I doubt the issue is with the FBI since they turn around their checks in quick fashion. My local PD said 6-8 weeks, I don't know what incentive they would have to 'lie' about that and a lot of people on this thread have gotten their permit in that time frame. Then again, the State just said last week that they are doing background checks from April so an application submitted today wouldn't be approved until October if you believe the State. So either the local PD is issuing temp permits without the State check coming back, or they were lying about the permits being issued within 6-8 weeks, but again, what incentive would they have to lie about it, they cash the check regardless if it is 6 weeks, 8 weeks, or 16 weeks. They must have told me 6-8 weeks based on recent experience.

Regardless, I think filing an appeal at 8 weeks is the way to go. I understand the board has a backlog of cases and you would have your permit before your hearing but it seems to be the only way to get the local PD to hustle up and get the permits approved.

I called one time and they told me they are not able to check the status of permits

Dillinger33

If you read this thread you see the time to get your permit approved ranges from 2 weeks - 16 weeks, I'm not sure if the issue is the local PD or the State. I doubt the issue is with the FBI since they turn around their checks in quick fashion. My local PD said 6-8 weeks, I don't know what incentive they would have to 'lie' about that and a lot of people on this thread have gotten their permit in that time frame. Then again, the State just said last week that they are doing background checks from April so an application submitted today wouldn't be approved until October if you believe the State. So either the local PD is issuing temp permits without the State check coming back, or they were lying about the permits being issued within 6-8 weeks, but again, what incentive would they have to lie about it, they cash the check regardless if it is 6 weeks, 8 weeks, or 16 weeks. They must have told me 6-8 weeks based on recent experience.

Regardless, I think filing an appeal at 8 weeks is the way to go. I understand the board has a backlog of cases and you would have your permit before your hearing but it seems to be the only way to get the local PD to hustle up and get the permits approved.

—-Thank you for this information, I’m at 13 weeks so if it’s gonna be an extra 2 or 3 until I get my temp, that’s fine. I’m just praying it’s sooner!

HJS

They may not be able to check the status on your personal application but they can tell you the date of the applications they are working on currently. If they tell you they can’t it just means they don’t want to do their job or they just don’t care to check.

Guns

They may not be able to check the status on your personal application but they can tell you the date of the applications they are working on currently. If they tell you they can’t it just means they don’t want to do their job or they just don’t care to check.

I went today in person to take a more respectful approach over calling to check my status. The women wouldn't check anything for me. It was almost like she gets off on telling people there's nothing she can do. She explained there's a new boss in the department for whatever that's worth, and then tried to say that maybe my references never called them back (which they did). Basically told me to wait longer

gutshot II

I went today in person to take a more respectful approach over calling to check my status. The women wouldn't check anything for me. It was almost like she gets off on telling people there's nothing she can do. She explained there's a new boss in the department for whatever that's worth, and then tried to say that maybe my references never called them back (which they did). Basically told me to wait longer

Good that you had a "respectful approach" while these public officials openly thumbed their noses at the state law and seemed to not care one whit about your rights.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Obviously carry a recorder might have a profound effect on their response and having a friend/witness would be good.

Robert53

3 1/2 months - and counting

I applied April 13 to my town, Columbia. Still waiting. The hold up is with the background check. Columbia called 3 times, I, twice and each time, the same thing - we're understaffed, and there's a hiring freeze. They "think" they may get to it this week, but "one never knows". I wrote my State Representative, Tim Ackert, (who replied with a phone message within hours) to see what assistance he may bring. Not much. I also filed an appeal with the Board of Firearms after the initial 60 days. I was given a hearing date of 4-2020. Upon receiving an additional form they requested, I now have a hearing scheduled for 2-2019. I'm not sure what, if any, issues they have - I've never been convicted, nor arrested for a crime. In fact, in 50 years of driving, I've never gotten one traffic ticket. I've lived in the same home for 20 years, raised 5 kids and retired from a 40 year career as a high school teacher.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I applied April 13 to my town, Columbia. Still waiting. The hold up is with the background check. Columbia called 3 times, I, twice and each time, the same thing - we're understaffed, and there's a hiring freeze. They "think" they may get to it this week, but "one never knows". I wrote my State Representative, Tim Ackert, (who replied with a phone message within hours) to see what assistance he may bring. Not much. I also filed an appeal with the Board of Firearms after the initial 60 days. I was given a hearing date of 4-2020. Upon receiving an additional form they requested, I now have a hearing scheduled for 2-2019. I'm not sure what, if any, issues they have - I've never been convicted, nor arrested for a crime. In fact, in 50 years of driving, I've never gotten one traffic ticket. I've lived in the same home for 20 years, raised 5 kids and retired from a 40 year career as a high school teacher.
You most certainly do know why there is a problem. You said it yourself, "I've never been convicted, nor arrested for a crime. In fact, in 50 years of driving, I've never gotten one traffic ticket. I've lived in the same home for 20 years, raised 5 kids and retired from a 40 year career as a high school teacher."

Clearly, you are a suspicious character.

Is there anything else you wish to confess? We are all ears.

gutshot II

The issue, my friend, is that now you want to carry a gun. That, in itself, is suspicious enough to make them take a second and a third look at you. All that other stuff is wiped clean from the slate and since you now want to carry a gun, there must be something wrong with you. You now want to have the ability to defend yourself and your family. What have you done that would make somebody want to hurt you? We'd better look into you life a little deeper.

19LG

I spoke with the State Police on Friday - re-markedly my town waited 2 weeks to send in my fingerprints from the date I submitted the application. The State Police don't even have a record of my fingerprints being sent in but I'm hoping they are sitting on a pile over there - anyhow, they did say they are doing the April fingerprints from Mid-April now so fingers crossed you should have it soon. The person I spoke to said it is an 8 week backlog. I guess math skills aren't a prerequisite for employment, because 8 weeks would mean they are working on fingerprints from May 23rd .. anyhow, good job filing the appeal. I know several state employees and they work hard and are good people but there is no accountability. In the private sector this wouldn't fly. The stockholders would be up in arms. Good luck and good work filing the appeal. Keep the board posted how it turns out

Applied for my non resident Connecticut State pistol permit. Application Mailed out March 23rd, 2018 with a delivery date of March 24th too MIDDLETOWN, CT . The application process took 12 weeks from delivery to arrival. I think the process was a reasonable time.

19LG

The State of CT is processing background checks from May now - you should call the state and see if the results of your check were sent to your town.