• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How long does it take to get a pistol permit in CT

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
In New York City the Open Container law (Section 10-125 of the NYC Administrative Code) states in part, as follows:
§ 10-125 Consumption of Alcohol on Streets Prohibited

b. No person shall drink or consume an alcoholic beverage, or possess, with intent to drink or consume, an open container containing an alcoholic beverage in any public place except at a block party, feast or similar function for which a permit has been obtained.

e. Any person who shall be found to have violated any of the provisions of this section shall be punished by a fine of not more than twenty-five dollars ($25) or imprisonment of up to five (5) days, or both, or pursuant to the provisions of the family court act of the state of New York where applicable.
It is a jailable offense. I would put it on the application.

http://www.wiltonpolice.org/PDF/CT Pistol Permit.pdf
Have you ever been CONVICTED under the laws of this state, federal law or the laws of another jurisdiction?
NO YES If "YES,” list all convictions, include charges, location, date of arrest, and disposition.

mtc273

Banned
In New York City the Open Container law (Section 10-125 of the NYC Administrative Code) states in part, as follows:

It is a jailable offense. I would put it on the application.

http://www.wiltonpolice.org/PDF/CT Pistol Permit.pdf

Yea but it is a violation and not a crime. That was confirmed by NYC and the back of the ticket said it is just a violation and not a crime. They let you mail the fine in. The CT State Police Firearms Unit said you only have to disclose misdemeanors and felonies. I don’t have either. I’ve never been arrested or convicted of a crime. CT State Police said you don’t have to disclose violations or crimes.

Just wondering how big of a deal it would be if I attached a sheet of paper at the end of the application explaining it? Or would they say having a beer at a baseball game makes me unsuitable?

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Yea but it is a violation and not a crime. That was confirmed by NYC and the back of the ticket said it is just a violation and not a crime. They let you mail the fine in. The CT State Police Firearms Unit said you only have to disclose misdemeanors and felonies. I don’t have either. I’ve never been arrested or convicted of a crime. CT State Police said you don’t have to disclose violations or crimes.

Just wondering how big of a deal it would be if I attached a sheet of paper at the end of the application explaining it? Or would they say having a beer at a baseball game makes me unsuitable?
Call it what you will. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

It is a jailable offense. If it was only a fine then I would agree, but it is not.

My opinion is worth what you paid for it.

mtc273

Banned
I see your point regarding the wording on the application, but by the same token wouldn't every parking ticket, speeding ticket, cell phone violation, red light violation have to be disclosed? Have you ever been convicted under the laws of this state, federal law or other jurisdiction? The way that is worded every traffic ticket would have to be disclosed right? If you get a cell phone infraction ticket in CT, and pay the fine then you have been convicted under the laws of CT, correct? This is why I called the State Police to clarify - it is the intent to only have misdemeanors and felonies disclosed. The NY open container infraction is 100% just a violation and not a crime. I re-verified this again tonight. So based on the State Police saying infractions and violations don't need to be disclosed, and with NYC's official website saying this is only a violation and not a crime, I don't believe this needs to be disclosed.

Just another point - in NY State - going 1-10 MPH over the speed limit can land you in jail for 15 days. That is not for a crime but is for a traffic violation. Just wondering Color of Law - would you disclose a speeding ticket in NY for going 66 in a 65 zone because New York State could have sent you to jail for 15 days on your CT Pistol Permit Application?? No of course not, because it is a violation and not a crime.

Penalties for Speeding
Speed Minimum fine Maximum fine Possible prison time
up to 10 mph over $90 $150 not more than 15 days
more than 10 mph over - less than 30 mph over $180 $300 not more than 30 days
more than 30 mph over $360 $600 not more than 30 days
inappropriate speed $45 $150 not more than 15 days

Source: http://www.safeny.ny.gov/spee-ndx.htm

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I see your point regarding the wording on the application, but by the same token wouldn't every parking ticket, speeding ticket, cell phone violation, red light violation have to be disclosed? Have you ever been convicted under the laws of this state, federal law or other jurisdiction? The way that is worded every traffic ticket would have to be disclosed right? If you get a cell phone infraction ticket in CT, and pay the fine then you have been convicted under the laws of CT, correct? This is why I called the State Police to clarify - it is the intent to only have misdemeanors and felonies disclosed. The NY open container infraction is 100% just a violation and not a crime. I re-verified this again tonight. So based on the State Police saying infractions and violations don't need to be disclosed, and with NYC's official website saying this is only a violation and not a crime, I don't believe this needs to be disclosed.

My main question though was even if I do disclose it, which I don't believe it needs to be, what does this mean in terms of 'suitability'? I can't imagine they would punish someone for having a beer in the parking lot before an MLB game .. anyone from CT with some thoughts??
Almost all those that you mention are NOT jailable offenses. And, almost all states place most traffic infractions in a separate category known as Quasi-criminal, a civil matter with criminal punishments by only imposing a monetary fine.

You have almost convinced yourself on how you intend to proceed. I'm not here to convince you one way or the other.

Last edited:

mtc273

Banned
Almost all those that you mention are NOT jailable offenses. And, almost all states place most traffic infractions in a separate category known as Quasi-criminal, a civil matter with criminal punishments by only imposing a monetary fine.

You have almost convinced yourself on how you intend to proceed. I'm not here to convince you one way or the other.

If you go 1-10 mph over the speed limit in NYS you could go to jail for 15 days. So if you get a ticket for a traffic violation going 66 in NYS would you disclose it? I bet most wouldn’t but based on what you say above it should be disclosed?

Source: http://www.safeny.ny.gov/spee-ndx.htm

TheDude77

Im in Lebanon, CT. Today marks 8 weeks since I submitted my paperwork. All of my checks were cashed last month.
I've called the first selectman's office a few times to check the status and they keep telling me (today too) that they are waiting for the state background check.

Should I submit an appeal today or wait a while longer? I don't want to rock the boat needlessly if it's not going to get my permit any faster.

Thanks for any help

HJS

I submitted all the correct paperwork and fingerprints to my town hall first selectman in Brooklyn, CT on 4/19/2018 with the hopes of reiceveing my temp permit around the 8 week mark But around week 9 it was getting a little concerning because 3 of my fingers didn’t come out as clear as I liked on the print card when I had them taken at the PD. Keep in mind that my prints were not inked, they were scanned through the machine at the PD Which had no problem accepting them with the irregularities but just to make sure called the secretary for the first selectman to make sure the prints weren’t rejected. The lady informed me that if she hasn’t heard back from them by now that the prints were all good and I also asked if the process was still taking 8 weeks when she informed me that they were taking 10 weeks currently. Here we are 11 weeks later going on 12 with no information as to how far along my background check is or when it will be done, so I was wondering if anyone had any insite on what the delay is or if there is anything to speed up the process or get some answers out of these people!

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I submitted all the correct paperwork and fingerprints to my town hall first selectman in Brooklyn, CT on 4/19/2018 with the hopes of reiceveing my temp permit around the 8 week mark But around week 9 it was getting a little concerning because 3 of my fingers didn’t come out as clear as I liked on the print card when I had them taken at the PD. Keep in mind that my prints were not inked, they were scanned through the machine at the PD Which had no problem accepting them with the irregularities but just to make sure called the secretary for the first selectman to make sure the prints weren’t rejected. The lady informed me that if she hasn’t heard back from them by now that the prints were all good and I also asked if the process was still taking 8 weeks when she informed me that they were taking 10 weeks currently. Here we are 11 weeks later going on 12 with no information as to how far along my background check is or when it will be done, so I was wondering if anyone had any insite on what the delay is or if there is anything to speed up the process or get some answers out of these people!
Move to Ohio. Max to get license is 45 days.

HJS

Move to Ohio. Max to get license is 45 days.[/QUOTE
They act as if I’m Al Capone! 3 months and counting is a little ridiculous, even if there is a backlog. Apparently all the Fees I paid prior to submitting the application didn’t pay for the people to do their jobs. If my life was in danger I’m sure they’d tell me “call 911” lol. The whole process is a joke and it’s all about how much they can control while taking your money here. I’d move to a state that wasn’t as strict in a heartbeat if a house didn’t cost more than a permit....yet!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Think you mean if the permit didn't cost more than the house....yet1

Last edited:

19LG

SPBI fingerprint backlog

I spoke with the CT State Police. They said they are currently getting to the fingerprints from April - so based on that it appears to be a 3 month wait minimum. Anyone get a permit recently that took less than 3 months? The whole thing is BS - they are definitely putting the pistol permits to the back burner. If this was a fingerprint background check for a job I'm sure it would be done within 1 week. I totally respect the urgency to turn around fingerprint checks for employment, but how can they turn those around so quick but have a 3 month backlog of pistol permit applications?

HJS

I spoke with the CT State Police. They said they are currently getting to the fingerprints from April - so based on that it appears to be a 3 month wait minimum. Anyone get a permit recently that took less than 3 months? The whole thing is BS - they are definitely putting the pistol permits to the back burner. If this was a fingerprint background check for a job I'm sure it would be done within 1 week. I totally respect the urgency to turn around fingerprint checks for employment, but how can they turn those around so quick but have a 3 month backlog of pistol permit applications?

Yeah I called the SPBI Monday and they said they were working on background checks from 4/14/18 and hopefully not too much longer. That’s the same answer I’ve been given from day one by everyone I speak to which provides almost no clarity on when Im expected to get the temp permit. I find it odd that nobody can give me any info on how long it’s going to take or how far along in the process my application is. The fastest part of this whole process was when they took my money. I also don’t understand how the state mandates that issuing authorities have no later than 8 weeks to accept or deny an applicant, but towns are some how allowed to work at their own leisure without penalties or fines. There is no such thing as a “backlog” if you do your job correctly and stop infringing on people’s constitutional rights for profit.

19LG

They cashed my check within 2 days. My town does it a bit different. You write one check to the town for $157 vs. 3 separate checks. I'm assuming the town then sends the payment to the State or the State bills the town. All I wanted to know is if my fingerprints were actually mailed to SPBI and if they had them in their possession. The person I spoke to didn't have a record of them. So I'm wondering if they are sitting in a pile somewhere waiting to be logged in or if the town hasn't sent them in yet. My PD used the computer to take the prints. I don't think they send them electronically because they printed them out on a form and made me sign the form. Maybe I watch too much CSI but I figured that it wouldn't take that long to run the prints through the FBI database. I'm sure the SPBI gets a lot of fingerprint requests for jobs, police investigations, and pistol permits. I'm almost positive the pistol permit requests go to the bottom of the pile. Isn't the FBI IAFIS system electronic, with a response back to the state within 24 hours?

Yeah I called the SPBI Monday and they said they were working on background checks from 4/14/18 and hopefully not too much longer. That’s the same answer I’ve been given from day one by everyone I speak to which provides almost no clarity on when Im expected to get the temp permit. I find it odd that nobody can give me any info on how long it’s going to take or how far along in the process my application is. The fastest part of this whole process was when they took my money. I also don’t understand how the state mandates that issuing authorities have no later than 8 weeks to accept or deny an applicant, but towns are some how allowed to work at their own leisure without penalties or fines. There is no such thing as a “backlog” if you do your job correctly and stop infringing on people’s constitutional rights for profit.

HJS

They cashed my check within 2 days. My town does it a bit different. You write one check to the town for $157 vs. 3 separate checks. I'm assuming the town then sends the payment to the State or the State bills the town. All I wanted to know is if my fingerprints were actually mailed to SPBI and if they had them in their possession. The person I spoke to didn't have a record of them. So I'm wondering if they are sitting in a pile somewhere waiting to be logged in or if the town hasn't sent them in yet. My PD used the computer to take the prints. I don't think they send them electronically because they printed them out on a form and made me sign the form. Maybe I watch too much CSI but I figured that it wouldn't take that long to run the prints through the FBI database. I'm sure the SPBI gets a lot of fingerprint requests for jobs, police investigations, and pistol permits. I'm almost positive the pistol permit requests go to the bottom of the pile. Isn't the FBI IAFIS system electronic, with a response back to the state within 24 hours?

Your fingerprint are supposed to be sent out no later than 2 weeks after receiving your application if I remember correctly, but there is nothing to enforce the town to do anything in a timely fashion so I would not be suprised if the town is sitting on a pile of fingerprints they haven’t sent out yet. Unfortunately there isn’t really anything you can do at all other than calling the town hall and SPBI to get told that your background check will be done, “when it’s done”. FBI background checks take no longer than 2 days maximum no matter what the issuing authority tells you, but unfortunately the state of Connecticut can take as long as they want to complete state background checks. I’ve been waiting 13 weeks and all I can really do is file a constructive denial appeal with the board but I’d most likely have my permit by the time i seen anyone for a hearing. Try calling (860)685-8480 to see if they are working on applications submitted from the time you have submitted yours.

19LG

I think they have 5 business days to send in the fingerprints.

Your fingerprint are supposed to be sent out no later than 2 weeks after receiving your application if I remember correctly, but there is nothing to enforce the town to do anything in a timely fashion so I would not be suprised if the town is sitting on a pile of fingerprints they haven’t sent out yet. Unfortunately there isn’t really anything you can do at all other than calling the town hall and SPBI to get told that your background check will be done, “when it’s done”. FBI background checks take no longer than 2 days maximum no matter what the issuing authority tells you, but unfortunately the state of Connecticut can take as long as they want to complete state background checks. I’ve been waiting 13 weeks and all I can really do is file a constructive denial appeal with the board but I’d most likely have my permit by the time i seen anyone for a hearing. Try calling (860)685-8480 to see if they are working on applications submitted from the time you have submitted yours.