• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How do you justify OC?

teddyearp

Alex918, welcome to the site. As you can see from my post count, I am just mostly a lurker here, but there is a ton of great info to be had at this site.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...Everyone I have talked to around here uses the same lame excuse, "Open carry would just make me a target to any criminals, I prefer the element of surprise."
I can't think of any instance where open carry has made somebody a target, and the element of surprise is an offensive tactic, not a defensive tactic.

Thank you for anyone that has read this, I look forward to being a contributing member of opencarry.org

Welcome aboard!

My reply is "I'd rather be left alone than have the element of surprise after not being left alone."

wimwag

Sometimes just to be annoying i will tell them "it's what i do." Most people are put off by my arrogance and leave me alone.

Sent from my ZTE V768 using Tapatalk 2

stealthyeliminator

Sometimes just to be annoying i will tell them "it's what i do." Most people are put off by my arrogance and leave me alone.

Sent from my ZTE V768 using Tapatalk 2

lol.

I oc to intimidate soccor mom's organizations that are being pumped full of money by nefarious businesses as they have lunch meetings. [/sarcasm]

I don't oc due to legalities but I intend to when it is legalized for the following reasons... In no particular order...

To help eliminate the misconception that carrying a firearm is somehow something that should be concealed from public knowledge, as if it were an awkward or nonsocial act...

To eliminate the contradictive feelings of both not caring who knows that I'm carrying but still having to worry about whether or not my firearm will be revealed somehow.

Because CC is exponentially more cumbersome and uncomfortable.

katenka

Too small for anywhere to put a CC without being obvious anyway. Therefore, OC it is.

Edit: Winter = cc because lots of clothes :p

Last edited:

wimwag

Too small for anywhere to put a CC without being obvious anyway. Therefore, OC it is.

Edit: Winter = cc because lots of clothes :p

Nonsense! Sometimes I OC a P22 just because I can. The trick is to use a fitted leather concealment holster but tuck your shirt in so the handle is exposed. People will focus on the fact that it has a hammer instead of its size.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia using Tapatalk and glitchy Windows 8

Gallowmere

Nonsense! Sometimes I OC a P22 just because I can. The trick is to use a fitted leather concealment holster but tuck your shirt in so the handle is exposed. People will focus on the fact that it has a hammer instead of its size.
I just tuck my jacket behind my pistol. NBD, and still better than CC.

I was actually poking fun at her in Target yesterday, because even though her jacket was on, her LC9 was printing through it to a degree that made it pointless. Once she made the trip to the fitting room, after coming back out, she had tucked the jacket back in behind it. ;)

OC Freedom

How do I justify OC? When I am asked why I open carry my reply is; Sir, you are asking the wrong question. You should be asking yourself why you are not carrying. Then my next statement to this person will be that Thomas Jefferson said " That as an American it is your right and duty to be at all times armed" <---paraphrased. Then I will once again ask "So why are you not armed?". Then as with any interaction they might contemplate what was said or they might look like a deer looking at headlights.

MamaLiberty

That's perfectly understandable.

I walked into a store on Saturday, and when I walked out it was raining. I wouldn't have minded to have my CHP then. But I made due. I could see me being uncomfortable in a large crowd OC'ing. Its enough to be aware of everything and everyone around me at a store or restaurant

I still will not get a CHP tho

Come to Wyoming. No CC "permit" required. OC is not at all remarkable here, and there are no "cops" to hassle you - outside of Cheyenne and Casper, perhaps.

But I agree with others... there are times when CC is most prudent and more comfortable. Nobody can maintain good SA in a large crowd, for one thing. One of the reasons I avoid all crowds. :)

Why do I OC... because I usually prefer it. I don't need to justify it any more than I need to justify breathing.

Rusty Young Man

Come to Wyoming. No CC "permit" required. OC is not at all remarkable here, and there are no "cops" to hassle you - outside of Cheyenne and Casper, perhaps.

But I agree with others... there are times when CC is most prudent and more comfortable. Nobody can maintain good SA in a large crowd, for one thing. One of the reasons I avoid all crowds. :)

Why do I OC... because I usually prefer it. I don't need to justify it any more than I need to justify breathing.

Love the last line.:) If only "because we choose to", enough justification exists.
But I'll be the one that says CC is not most prudent in crowds all the time. I OC in large crowds or small crowds. The only places I don't OC (besides on campus, where all LAWFUL carry is prohibited) are....:confused:.....:confused:.....let me get back to you on that one.:lol:

This is a reply I typed up for a CC-only guy that came to the thread a few days back, so I apologize for any apparent angry tone (which is not directed at you MamaLiberty):
Rusty Young Man said:
This I can answer from experience. I've OCed at such highly-crowded Tucson events as the "All Souls Procession" (only the procession and closing festival, I'm afraid, since I was tied up in other things during the other events that weekend) and three of the four days of the nationally renown folk festival "Tucson, Meet Yourself" (some digging will reveal that although the modern title omits the comma, it was there originally and is more "grammatically correct", but I digress).

I carried both day and night times, in VERY crowded areas at both of these events. Situational Awareness, a hip holster with a forward cant, and a physical reserve of calories helped me know where my 1911 was at all times without the need to look at it.

Information about these events, including their LARGE attendance and crowded nature, can be found on a Wikipedia page dedicated towards highlighting some of the quirks which make Tucson worth defending from statists (in my opinion, at least): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tucson,_Arizona

Last edited:

dakatak87

How do I justify OC? When I am asked why I open carry my reply is; Sir, you are asking the wrong question. You should be asking yourself why you are not carrying. Then my next statement to this person will be that Thomas Jefferson said " That as an American it is your right and duty to be at all times armed" <---paraphrased. Then I will once again ask "So why are you not armed?". Then as with any interaction they might contemplate what was said or they might look like a deer looking at headlights.

I really like this response.

JoeSparky

Centurion

Just to clarify. In Wyoming Permit less concealment is only legal for Wyoming residents of appropriate age who are not otherwise disenfranchised.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

WhistlingJack

Hey guys!

I was curious since i have been asked to justify why i choose to OC vs CC, why you guys OC instead of CC. i have a good buddy that is CC only. I asked why and he said the same thing I always hear. The famed "element of surprise". Then he said another thing that I really hate to hear. Something to the effect of "I wish someone would try and rob the store I'm in"....

He asked why I choose to OC. I said well I don't want the element of surprise. I don't want to be a victim in the first place. I feel OC is a detterent. He also chooses to carry with an empty chamber. That's another debate tho.

The other day another friend who is a local cop suggested I get my CHP. To which I said I don't feel the need to pay for something I can already do. Once you pay for it and receive permission, its a privilege, not a right. (He then told me how putting my Glock in my glove compartment was concealed and I would be arrested. I argued then he said oh well maybe as long as its unloaded. Again I argued and showed him the cites, letter from the AG, and court cases. He was enlightened and appreciative.)

So my question is this. What are your reasons for OC vs CC? This is not a debate about which is better!!! All I'm saying is if someone says, "why don't you go get your CHP"? What do you say?

I say I don't want to pay for something I already have the right to do.
OC is a crime deterrent.
I choose to OC.

I know I'm a bit late to the party on this question, but my 2-rounds...

1) I do not feel the need to "justify" my OC, I think one of the biggest flaws of gun owners is that we constantly try to 'justify' ourselves to those who would disarm us. I do not justify my right to speak, to be safe from illegal searches, nor to have the right to refuse the Army permission to quarter a soldier in my home. I have the right to keep and bear arms, with no restriction mentioned on the manner in which I do so. Further, I feel no need to justify myself to a self-important (---brain to keyboard filter engaged---) who just wants to make his or herself feel special by running down the way someone else chooses to carry their firearm. That said...

2) I do not get a CC permit because that requires going through a process where my name will be recorded on a government list, wherein I will have no real control over who accesses it. (it matters not to me if it is state or fed, government is government and my state like many nurses at the federal teat). Considering how gun owners have had to fight tooth and nail to avoid being forced to register... In so far as I am concerned obtaining a CCDW is voluntary registration.

3) I do not, and will not pay the government for permission to exercise an aspect of my constitutional rights. To much of this exists in our country already. Moreover every time you pay the government for permission to exercise a right be it federal, state, or local, you not only legitimize their actions, but given that governments subsist on money; like feeding an animal you merely encourage them to continue forcing you to pay for your rights.

4) The "element of surprise" idea is a myth perpetuated largely by range-commandos who have an immature desire to actually be in a situation where their firearm is needed. To insinuate that criminals will have the drop on you is imbecilic. Few ever actually notice an OC'er, and even if a criminal does he will seek easier prey. To those who would argue this point, I ask they point me to the list of instances where police officers are routinely mugged for their gun, radio, belt, holster, and many other items that would pay for a lot of crack money at the pawn shop. Good luck with that one.

Not to mention the fact that having your weapon concealed does not prevent a criminal from getting the drop on you, unless a CCDW grants some kind of spidey-sense telepathy that warns you of danger in the near future and nobody told me.

Last edited:

wimwag

Because it annoys the "CC only" zealots. :eek:

What really gets them going is when you OC two compact pistols, a 4" knife and wear American flag t-shirts with the sleeves ripped off and a DCU field cap. Happy fourth of July! Lolz

Sent from my Nokia Lumia using Tapatalk and glitchy Windows 8

teddyearp

2) I do not get a CC permit because that requires going through a process where my name will be recorded on a government list, wherein I will have no real control over who accesses it. (it matters not to me if it is state or fed, government is government and my state like many nurses at the federal teat). Considering how gun owners have had to fight tooth and nail to avoid being forced to register... In so far as I am concerned obtaining a CCDW is voluntary registration.

+1 ^^^ this

DaveT319

My only reason at this point to get a CHL is to be able to OC in places where non-CHL holders are prohibited from carrying. I think I'd still OC the majority of the time if I got one.