• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How do you justify OC?

Fallschirjmäger

What gives you that belief?
I'm pretty sure that Georgia isn't among those. Or else there would be One hundred and fifty-nine separate phone calls/emails/data transmissions made on each reporting period. The only database of Weapons Carry License holders in Georgia is the file cabinet in the probate court's office (although I won't swear that there isn't a computer copy as well). I will state unequivocally that there isn't a state GWCL database, at least according to the probate judge who I semi-regularly have lunch with.
If your permit comes back from running your plates, you are in NCIC.
In Georgia, it won't. The questionnaire for a GWCL doesn't require (and doesn't have any place to put) either a social security number or the Georgia Drivers License number.
Not only according to me but according to a county sheriff who would have a more intimate knowledge of the subject than the average person.

Last edited:
B

Bikenut

About that "element of surprise" thing..........

CC and OC have the very same "element of surprise" because the "element of surprise" is really nothing more than the bad guy being "surprised" to discover his intended victim ..... has a gun.

With CC the bad guy is "surprised" to see his intended victim has a gun to defend himself with after the attack is already in progress and at that point seeing the gun can make the bad guy decide to stop the attack.

With OC the bad guy is "surprised" to see his intended victim has a gun to defend himself with during the bad guy's choosing a victim process and at that point seeing the gun can make the bad guy decide not to attack at all.

But either way... it was the bad guy being "surprised" to see a gun that was the actual "element of surprise".

Quite frankly... I'd prefer the bad guy be "surprised" to see my openly carried gun and decide not to attack me so I can go home and watch the 6 o'clock news coverage .... from the comfort of my easy chair..... about the CC'er who had to pull his gun and "surprise" the bad guy who attacked him.

Does OC's "element of surprise" really work? Well.... there have been thousands of folks open carrying in many States (Like Arizona) for decades! and yet accounts of folks OC'ing being attacked are rare. And you know with the anti gun media any incident involving an open carrier being attacked would be covered over and over and over yet such has not been the case in the past nor is it now.

And, in my not so humble opinion, because CC's use of the "element of surprise" is only effective after the attack has begun but OC's use of the "element of surprise" can prevent an attack from happening............. OC's use of the "element of surprise" is far superior to CC's because....

I'd much rather watch the 6 o'clock news than to BE the news.

Last edited by a moderator:

JoeSparky

Centurion
About that "element of surprise" thing..........

CC and OC have the very same "element of surprise" because the "element of surprise" is really nothing more than the bad guy being "surprised" to discover his intended victim ..... has a gun.

With CC the bad guy is "surprised" to see his intended victim has a gun to defend himself with after the attack is already in progress and at that point seeing the gun can make the bad guy decide to stop the attack.

With OC the bad guy is "surprised" to see his intended victim has a gun to defend himself with during the bad guy's choosing a victim process and at that point seeing the gun can make the bad guy decide not to attack at all.

But either way... it was the bad guy being "surprised" to see a gun that was the actual "element of surprise".

Quite frankly... I'd prefer the bad guy be "surprised" to see my openly carried gun and decide not to attack me so I can go home and watch the 6 o'clock news coverage .... from the comfort of my easy chair..... about the CC'er who had to pull his gun and "surprise" the bad guy who attacked him.

Does OC's "element of surprise" really work? Well.... there have been thousands of folks open carrying in many States (Like Arizona) for decades! and yet accounts of folks OC'ing being attacked are rare. And you know with the anti gun media any incident involving an open carrier being attacked would be covered over and over and over yet such has not been the case in the past nor is it now.

And, in my not so humble opinion, because CC's use of the "element of surprise" is only effective after the attack has begun but OC's use of the "element of surprise" can prevent an attack from happening............. OC's use of the "element of surprise" is far superior to CC's because....

I'd much rather watch the 6 o'clock news than to BE the news.

Well said!

LEX_XDM40compact

Currently im open carrying until my CCDW comes in. However during my few times of open carrying ( im new to it ) I can only see me CC when my clothing attire deems needing to do so. I am 90% time in business casual khaki type pants or nice jeans and tucked in button up or polo so for me open carry would be proper nature. the CCDW will only allow me to properly store it in any matter i wish in my truck and while transporting.

To justify this well in the real world i would not need to. As its everyones right to self preservation. But for this sake my only justification would be at this point as everyone elses is im sure.

"I rather have it on me and not need or ever use it then not have it on me and need it"

As for the element of surprise argument as Bikenut mentioned in any situation a surprise is to happen vs the attacker its going to be surprised regardless. Its just a matter of when they are.

Last edited:

GhostOfJefferson

This is Truth. I get the "question" every now and then. I explain that most people don't notice. Those who do come in several categories.
1. the BG- they don't approach and that is fine
2. the closet Patriot- approaches and says "hey I am glad to see somebody exercising their 2A"
3. the concealed guy- "Hey I am carrying too, just concealed" (not anymore bud)
4. The anti "A" he/she runs off in a huff
4. The anti "B" he/she has to give you a piece of their mind( they cannot really afford that) and tell you how you are scaring the children.
5. The listener- The guy that is actually interested in why you carry OC.

Me, I just carry, like a wallet or keys to the car. Don't need them till you need them.

It must be my area (central Ohio) but I rarely if ever encounter the Preachy Anti at all. I've had one encounter with one dillweed, the rest of my encounters with individuals have been overwhelmingly positive. I assume type 1 is around, type 2 I've encountered a handful of times, type 3 same, type 4/5 only once, and type 5 rather all the time.

As to the OP, I don't really justify my right since I don't need to. I'll explain OC to anybody who will listen, and give them the five point standard response to the 5 standard questions I hear repeatedly:

1. No, I'm not a cop
2. Yes, it's real
3. Yes, it's loaded
4. No, you don't need a license to open carry in Ohio
5. Yes, you can too as long as you have no disabilities stopping you from owning a firearm and are of legal age

Some days I have the feeling that it may well be a good investment to print up a batch of cards that encapsulate these five points. :)

HearseGuy

There is a generous gentleman here in VA that prints OC info cards and will mail you a bunch. I have some on the way.

May be beneficial to print yourself up some that are Ohio specific.

Last edited:

papa bear

Currently im open carrying until my CCDW comes in. However during my few times of open carrying ( im new to it ) I can only see me CC when my clothing attire deems needing to do so. I am 90% time in business casual khaki type pants or nice jeans and tucked in button up or polo so for me open carry would be proper nature. the CCDW will only allow me to properly store it in any matter i wish in my truck and while transporting.

To justify this well in the real world i would not need to. As its everyones right to self preservation. But for this sake my only justification would be at this point as everyone elses is im sure.

"I rather have it on me and not need or ever use it then not have it on me and need it"

As for the element of surprise argument as Bikenut mentioned in any situation a surprise is to happen vs the attacker its going to be surprised regardless. Its just a matter of when they are.

it has been my experience that someone who wants to "surprise", someone wants to shoot, and thinks of themselves to be some kind of secret BA. I on the other hand, would rather not shoot anybody, and by BGs seeing my firearm, hopefully will discourage anyone who is looking for a target.

WalkingWolf

it has been my experience that someone who wants to "surprise", someone wants to shoot, and thinks of themselves to be some kind of secret BA. I on the other hand, would rather not shoot anybody, and by BGs seeing my firearm, hopefully will discourage anyone who is looking for a target.
I agree completely, plus oddly enough for being a redneck I hate that being a slob thing to cover up a gun. Though I hardly dress like a business person. NO dockers for me! Or polo shirts!

Last edited:

MyWifeSaidYes

When someone comments that, as an OC'er, I would be the first one shot, I'll remind them that they would be second.

Either they do not carry and would have more time to escape, or they conceal carry and would have more time to draw.

Either way, getting shot first is MY problem, not theirs.

Do not mention the deterrent factor. Do not mention the issue of a quicker draw. If they want to think of me as the decoy or bait, simply agree and point out their advantage.

Then tell them to stop bugging you about your lawful choice of carry method.

Hell, they may start ASKING people to open carry!

:cool:

Beretta92FSLady

Why does the porcupine have quills?; why are some butterflies poisonous to birds?; why does the snake have venom? why does the skunk smell to high heaven?--a defense mechanism. That's why I OC.

Aknazer

Same here. A few weeks ago when talking about this subject at work I stated how I had no desire to be a vigilante so I'd rather stop an encounter before it ever got close to that situation. The other guy kinda lowered both his head and his voice as he said "I don't want to be a vigilante either" before he went on to half-heartedly state how he would rather remove the badguy than have him out there to potentially hurt his wife or kid. And how CCing gives him a better chance at being able to remove said badguy.

Aknazer

When someone comments that, as an OC'er, I would be the first one shot, I'll remind them that they would be second.

Either they do not carry and would have more time to escape, or they conceal carry and would have more time to draw.

Either way, getting shot first is MY problem, not theirs.

Do not mention the deterrent factor. Do not mention the issue of a quicker draw. If they want to think of me as the decoy or bait, simply agree and point out their advantage.

Then tell them to stop bugging you about your lawful choice of carry method.

Hell, they may start ASKING people to open carry!

:cool:

Not to mention that while if he only sees one person OCing they might be targeted, but if the BG sees multiple people OCing then he's going to know he really can't get them all and go somewhere else. So multiple people OCing multiplies the deterrent effect.

WalkingWolf

Cite please cuz I'm only 99% sure it is PRIVATE PROPERTY THAT IS EXEMPTED

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(B) Subparagraph (A)
shall
does
not apply to the
possession of a firearm—
(i) on private property not part of school grounds;
(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to
do so by the State in which the school zone is located
or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of
the State or political subdivision requires that, before
an individual obtain
s
such a license, the law

OOOPS I see what I did, I typed public instead of private.

Last edited: