Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: How do you justify OC?

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Back in ahhh 2006 I recommended hand-vetting of members, as in the act of administration.

We have 33,000 members currently registered, still many with zero post count. Call it 30,000 in 3000 days to see ~30/day, at one minute per account ~30 minutes.

If an applicant wants to contribute, then a wait of a day or so is not uncommon.

I have lots of listserv accounts, some of which have delays of >week.
    That's commensurate with the recommendations for limited access accounts for new users.

Hand-vetting is possible, but admin-intensive, and to be honest, it's difficult to determine who's real and who's not. Spammers are getting more and more creative.

The best defense comes in layers, using a series of best practices which include automated anti-spamming software (plug-in), configuration best practices, and yes, for the relatively few seemingly genuine applicants, hand-vetting and limited access or managed post approval for a short period of time.
    On trolls: It is to one's honor to avoid strife, but every fool is quick to quarrel (Pro 20:3) // Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels (2 Tim 2:23) // An angry person stirs up conflict, and a hot-tempered person commits many sins (Pro 29:22) // I came here to build Pro-2A consensus to help our country, not trade insults like a fifth-grader. If you're on ignore, well, now you know why.

Well,,,

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    I did. Below.

This, 1245A Defender, is still spam:

Attachment 12132

It's actually easy to kill this crap. You do, however, need to know what you're doing. You also need admin access, which grapeshot doesn't have.
    you are right
    i described the 1st attack as spam, because it was posting links to,,, buy things...

the new attack fills our screens with posters that talk "ugg" boots, but dont really try to sell anything.
    i havent read any of the posts, but did see in . foru what they look like..
    here
    i made a thread to warn our guys to ignore themso far only 2 folks have replied to report themi saw 250 threads on my screenthen it went to 110 threadsnow its back up to 500 threads,, maybe thats the max allowed?

• --Moderator deleted reposting of spam links--

Last edited by Grapeshot; 10-18-2014 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Please do NOT repost spam!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Not sure why they do this. Its not like anyone actually buys stuff through those links.

Quote Originally Posted by runbch View Post
    Not sure why they do this. Its not like anyone actually buys stuff through those links.
    Someone's granny did, once, and Pandora's box has been open ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    ...the new attack fills our screens with posters that talk "ugg" boots, but dont really try to sell anything.
    Lol, you know what? You bring up a good point. This could be an attempt by Moms Demand Action to merely vandalize the message forum. With Bloomberg's funding, I can easily picture him hiring hackers to script this crap.
    On trolls: It is to one's honor to avoid strife, but every fool is quick to quarrel (Pro 20:3) // Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels (2 Tim 2:23) // An angry person stirs up conflict, and a hot-tempered person commits many sins (Pro 29:22) // I came here to build Pro-2A consensus to help our country, not trade insults like a fifth-grader. If you're on ignore, well, now you know why.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    Lol, you know what? You bring up a good point. This could be an attempt by Moms Demand Action to merely vandalize the message forum. With Bloomberg's funding, I can easily picture him hiring hackers to script this crap.
    Swing by your local Kroger to see if any of the Demanding Mommies are wearing some uggs.

I just say..."I'm not, I just have an invisible coat"

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    I just say..."I'm not, I just have an invisible coat"
    I may have to borrow that.........to keep me invisibly warm.

Would work when the temperature is low, but what to do when the weather warms up? Still wearing an invisible coat?

Either way, if you see it I have succeeded in one of my goals.
    Better to not open your mouth and be thought the fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

"How do you justify OC?"

I don't. OC is the default, natural condition. It is everything else that needs to be justified.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

OC vs CC?

Everything has trade-offs. Element of SUrprise is really good.

But my view is if more people OC, then we can normalize the idea of people having guns and it not being a scary thing. It is almost like you are making a statement, "Yeah I got a gun, so what? I am here to protect not to harm." And if we want to win this fight against Gun Control, we NEED to normalize guns socially or else we will lose.

Quote Originally Posted by calnus View Post
    OC vs CC?

But my view is if more people OC, then we can normalize the idea of people having guns and it not being a scary thing. It is almost like you are making a statement, "Yeah I got a gun, so what? I am here to protect not to harm." And if we want to win this fight against Gun Control, we NEED to normalize guns socially or else we will lose.
    That "element of surprise" is nothing more than the bad guy being "surprised" to see his victim has a gun. Concealed carry surprises the bad guy after he has already attacked someone who looked like an easy victim but open carry surprises the bad guy while he is looking for an easy victim.
    Last edited by Bikenut; 11-09-2018 at 11:36 AM.
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. - J. C. Watts

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    That "element of surprise" is nothing more than the bad guy being "surprised" to see his victim has a gun. Concealed carry surprises the bad guy after he has already attacked someone who looked like an easy victim but open carry surprises the bad guy while he is looking for an easy victim.
    Quote Originally Posted by calnus View Post
    OC vs CC?

Calnus, welcome to this nation's premier open carry forum...

The member(s) here are feel OC is the natural order of things and OC daily going about their daily activities.

Roam around a bit and enjoy the readings [and the bickering] tis a big family out here and is kinda like the thanksgiving holiday when everyone gets around the table, 'conversation' ensues which not all your relatives might appreciate, but in the end, you know you are all family and leave till next thanksgiving holiday.

speaking of holidays as I was, enjoy yours filled with family and friends and of course your handgun on your hip!
    Last edited by solus; 11-09-2018 at 11:55 AM.
    I cannot allow your ignorance, however great, to take precedence over my knowledge, however small. Bacon’s great-grandson.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011