• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA and open carry

tracker51

Not sure where to post this ,but I would like to know if the NRA is helping in the fight agianst the open carry restrictions in california.

WalkingWolf

Not sure where to post this ,but I would like to know if the NRA is helping in the fight agianst the open carry restrictions in california.

NRA is CC organization, they push only for OC when it is tied to CC, look at their latest accomplishments. While some applaud the recent new states into the Open Carry privilege instead of a right, IMO it is a step backwards. NRA makes big money off of concealed carry, constitutional open carry is venom to them. It is the reason I cannot support or be a NRA member as well as other anti constitutional open carry organizations.

Last edited:

eye95

I don't know about California, but the NRA showed no interest when I pointed out numerous grave errors about OC in Alabama in their legal summary. They lost me forever that day.

Talesman

The folks over at:
http://blog.californiarighttocarry.org/
seen to think the NRA is a huge impediment to OC.

Ditto for many folks in FL as they have yet to even acknowledge the folks looking for the restoraration of that right. And some say that the NRA has worked to stop OC in a behind-the-scenes manner.

Reading between the lines over time one cannot help but feel the NRA isn't anyone's friend when it comes to OC anywhere. Then again. if all the states had OC, they wouldn't have a need to exist.

Last edited:

kurt555gs

About a year ago I was ready to have a bill allowing open carry in non home rule areas of Illinois. Because it wouldn't effect Chicago or Cook County, it would have had a better than even chance of passing. The NRA lobbyist in Illinois told me he would make sure it would be killed. He said it would interfere with their plans.

Carthago Delenda Est

Ca Patriot

In California it was EXREMELY dissapointing that Cal Guns was so publically opposed to open carry.

I have been banned a few times from their forum simply for standing up for open carry.

It just seems no gun rights group with any influence support open carry.

It was shocking and disgusting how Cal Guns and their members attack open carriers worse than the Brady Bunch loonies.

kurt555gs

I am an outcast from IllinoisCarry.com because of my outspoken support for open carry.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

In California it was EXREMELY dissapointing that Cal Guns was so publically opposed to open carry.

I have been banned a few times from their forum simply for standing up for open carry.

It just seems no gun rights group with any influence support open carry.

It was shocking and disgusting how Cal Guns and their members attack open carriers worse than the Brady Bunch loonies.

Because there is a lot more money to be made in concealed carry privilege cards. RKBA/Open Carry is kryptonite to their bank accounts.

kurt555gs

I think that asking the anti's for the privilege of concealed carry without the right of open carry as a foundation is short sighted at best.

Carthago Delenda Est

kurt555gs

I have a lot of respect for Todd. He never explained why he told me he would kill any open carry legislation that I would have put forward at the time. I am hoping he won't oppose an open carry on a FOID card bill that I intend to put forward after all this concealed carry mess is finished.

I hope it was just timing in the past and not a blatantly anti open carry attitude that some other 2A groups in Illinois seem to have.

Carthago Delenda Est

SavageOne

Let's be honest here. The NRA is not pro- OC because the general public still views it as atypical. While amazing strides have been made normalizing OC, it is still far from commonly accepted. The NRA is not going to get behind something they think may scare the general sheeple. There is also the fact they view it as decisive. We've all been on other gun centric sites and seen the general reaction when OC is brought up. I will say I have seen more and more acceptance for OC over the years, but there are still plenty who believe CC is the ONLY way to carry(and many of them belong to the NRA according to their signature line).

The NRA is the "old guard" plain and simple. They do not want to rock the boat on certain issues. The leave that to the newer gun rights groups like GOA and SAF, but don't think for a minute they won't sign on if it looks like some case is going to go our way and there will be good press to be had.

kurt555gs

Open carry is an expression of civil rights. Concealed carry is primarily a means of self defense. And never the twain shall meet. When open carry is brought up on other forums, the same "objections" keep popping up. Like, it's not a good tactical strategy, or there should be a laws requiring retention holsters, or you open carriers upset the sheeple and make it hard for us concealed carry folks to pass better laws. They are not thinking of civil rights, they are thinking of themselves. I don't know any open carry proponents that wish to deny concealed carry. The reverse is sadly not the case.

We are talking about civil rights, and they only hear their own interpretation. Civil rights supporters are always out on the fringe, no matter what the cause.

Last edited:

eye95

OC is also defensive carry. IMO, it is more defensive than CC because it has a deterrent aspect and requires less fumbling if deployment becomes necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

FTG-05

Let's be honest here. The NRA is not pro- OC because the general public still views it as atypical. While amazing strides have been made normalizing OC, it is still far from commonly accepted. The NRA is not going to get behind something they think may scare the general sheeple. There is also the fact they view it as decisive. We've all been on other gun centric sites and seen the general reaction when OC is brought up. I will say I have seen more and more acceptance for OC over the years, but there are still plenty who believe CC is the ONLY way to carry(and many of them belong to the NRA according to their signature line).

The NRA is the "old guard" plain and simple. They do not want to rock the boat on certain issues. The leave that to the newer gun rights groups like GOA and SAF, but don't think for a minute they won't sign on if it looks like some case is going to go our way and there will be good press to be had.

I think you meant "divisive" here. I agree with everything else you said.

We won the war against the FUDDs (gun owners who believe in the 2nd amendment, as long as you own guns they approve of).

We'll win the war against the OC FUDDs (gun owners who believe in the 2nd amendment, as long as you carry their way i.e. CC).

Last edited:

kurt555gs

OC is also defensive carry. IMO, it is more defensive than CC because it has a deterrent aspect and requires less fumbling if deployment becomes necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

I agree

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
In the NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home course, it teaches that handgun holsters MUST properly conceal the handgun.

I tell my students the truth instead.

Thundar

C2i2

Because there is a lot more money to be made in concealed carry privilege cards. RKBA/Open Carry is kryptonite to their bank accounts.

We used to use an acronym for this:

C2I2

Concealed Carry Instruction Industry.

It is an acronym often used with P4P.

For example: The C2I2 is the biggest proponent of P4P.