• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

10mm

Firearms Iinstuctor

Having owned and reloaded for both the 10mm and 40s one can achieve higher velocity out of the 10mm.

I just found it was not worth it for defense against two legged predators.

In situations where I figure I well run into larger 4 legged predators I carry one of my Magnum revolvers.

Reloading and achieving reliability is a lot easier in revolvers then for semi autos. They well operate in larger parameters then semi autos well.

But each to is own.

If one wants a 10mm buy it that's is one of the nice things about living in most of the US we have many firearm choices.

The Truth

Thanks!

1245A Defender has gotten me really interested in the EAA Witness all steel frame.

My reasoning for going 10mm is that I love .40 caliber. My Sig .40S&W would be my weapon for use "in civilization," and the added ~300+ FPS and ~400+ ft. lbs. of energy from the 10mm hot loaded would make it a more effective "in the woods," weapon. I really like the idea of using a different sidearm depending on application.

I'm sure I will eventually acquire a Magnum revolver as well, but right now I'm on a big semi-auto kick and it seems to me .357 Mag is slightly edged by 10mm in regards to ballistics. Plus I'll take 14+1 hot 10mm loads vs 5 or 6 .357 loads.

Yard Sale

I got a Glock 20SF, bought a bunch of factory ammo to make brass for reloading, and bought new brass from Starline. It's incredibly soft with weak target loads (180 gr bullet with a fast powder). Using 180 gr jacketed bullets with a slow powder to higher velocities, it starts to get interesting, but it's controllable. Nothing like a 44 mag.

Once-fired brass is rare and expensive.

I was lucky to find 10mm JHP for carry. Factory ammo is incredibly hard to find, defensive JHP or bulk target FMJ. I think they shifted production to all other calibers during the ammo shortage. It's also very expensive, compared to .40 which is almost the same material.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I'm sure I will eventually acquire a Magnum revolver as well, but right now I'm on a big semi-auto kick and it seems to me .357 Mag is slightly edged by 10mm in regards to ballistics. Plus I'll take 14+1 hot 10mm loads vs 5 or 6 .357 loads.

I always said if one needs more shots then a revolver holds a high capacity semi auto is nice to have.

The Truth

EAA Witness Elite Match

Unless I can find a killer price on a S&W 1076 or Colt Delta Elite, it seems like the Witness Elite Match might be the hot ticket. Best mag capacity, best price, and maybe the best looking gun of the bunch too. I wish they sold it in blueing like the Delta Elite though...

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/7-G600650

Brian D.

Both 10mm and .38 super have always been at their best if one is able to handload for them. I tote a Glock model 20 when vacationing in big critter country. The homebrewed load of choice is a bunch of Blue Dot powder behind a 200 grain full metal jacket bullet during time in the woods. When I get back to town those come out and are replace by CorBon or other reasonably warm factory JHP's.

i've noticed that the G-20 is at least authorized for carry by some LEO agencies around the Smoky Mountain National Park, I've seen their trade-ins at a couple gun shops in the region. Same thing observed out in Colorado on a trip there some years back.

The Truth

Well you guys sure are getting an insight into the process I'm going through while choosing a 10mm. I've flipped and flopped and second guessed, gotten some informative and helpful PM's, not to mention I've spent countless hours researching and reading every forum post in existence in regards to 10mm.

Above I referenced the S&W 1076. Well I found a nicely priced 1006 on gunbroker and I've decided to bid. Hopefully I can score it for a decent price! Thanks for the replies, everyone! Sorry to hijack the thread as my own, but it was a necro-thread anyway.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Well you guys sure are getting an insight into the process I'm going through while choosing a 10mm. I've flipped and flopped and second guessed, gotten some informative and helpful PM's, not to mention I've spent countless hours researching and reading every forum post in existence in regards to 10mm.

Above I referenced the S&W 1076. Well I found a nicely priced 1006 on gunbroker and I've decided to bid. Hopefully I can score it for a decent price! Thanks for the replies, everyone! Sorry to hijack the thread as my own, but it was a necro-thread anyway.
During your research have you found any information to support the notion (which I believe I read earlier in this thread) that a 10mm won't stand up to repeated full power loads?

WalkingWolf

All guns wear out, even from standard loads. So heavier loads will create more wear no matter what the gun is.

The ammo to wear a gun out will probably cost several more times than the gun though. So if a person can afford that much ammo, they can afford a new gun.

Last edited:

The Truth

During your research have you found any information to support the notion (which I believe I read earlier in this thread) that a 10mm won't stand up to repeated full power loads?

Yes, I have found some evidence that Glock 20 should not be shot with full loads unless you buy a totally supported barrel, I've read that the lower level EAA guns are pretty much garbage over time and their customer support is even worse (although the more high-end EAA's seem to have a decent rep.), and what has caused me to stay away from the Delta Elite or even the Kimber 1911's is that I read in multiple places that the 1911 platform itself is just not properly engineered for full power 10mm over time, straight from the factory anyway. All of them seem fine under normal factory loads, and one guy claims to have shot 20K rounds of high powered ammo through his early 90's Delta Elite with only an upgraded guide rod and 22# recoil spring, but I want my pistol to last as long as I do.

As was said though, the 10mm is a very potent round, and a heavier recoil spring seems almost mandatory for regular shooting of higher powered loads such as Buffalo Bore, Double Tap, etc. I love gunblast.com for info regarding different factory loads. There's a great write up here:

http://www.gunblast.com/10mm.htm

Seems to me, one of the strongest and most reliable 10mm is probably the STI Perfect 10 2011. Problem is you're gonna pay around $2,700 for it, but I doubt you would even want or need to buy another one. Plus it's the only double-stack 10mm I could find. 6" barrel with 17+1. I mean, come on. Haha.

Some references to save someone else some time:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-semi-auto-pistols/264338-10mm-questions.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_4/13..._moment__specifically_the_Sandamp_W_1006.html

These threads have helped me make my decision. For a short time I thought maybe I would want a 1076 since it has a de-cocker similar to my Sig, but I also read that the frame mounted de-cocker has some weak links that can cause the gun to be rendered inoperable, so I've decided to stick with the 1006 which has the more reliable slide mounted de-cocker/safety.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Yes, I have found some evidence that Glock 20 should not be shot with full loads unless you buy a totally supported barrel...
Thanks for the comprehensive analysis. VERY interesting.

I guess my question is this: "How many rounds do you think you're going to fire out of whatever gun you buy, and are you worried about wearing it out?"

For myself, if I bought a 10mm for going into the wilds of Alaska, and didn't use the gun for regular target practice, is it your contention/concern that I should be wary?

You said the Glock 20 shouldn't be fired with full loads without having a totally supported barrel - I'm not sure what that term means - do you mean that the round has to be entirely surrounded by the barrel, rather than a portion of the case near the base be hanging in the air above the ramp?

Thanks again.

Last edited:

The Truth

Thanks for the comprehensive analysis. VERY interesting.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not...but Google search "Glock 20 smiley," or "Glock 20 chamber support." Maybe that will give you more information.

I have read all over the place that there are issues with some if not all Glock 20s' chamber support in regards to full power loads.

Hope this is helpful.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not...but Google search "Glock 20 smiley," or "Glock 20 chamber support." Maybe that will give you more information.

I have read all over the place that there are issues with some if not all Glock 20s' chamber support in regards to full power loads.

Hope this is helpful.
No sarcasm meant.

The Truth

I guess my question is this: "How many rounds do you think you're going to fire out of whatever gun you buy, and are you worried about wearing it out?"

I think that I would shoot an absolute MAX of 2,000 rounds or less out of the 10mm per year. This is based on the fact that I am on pace to shoot 3,000 through my .40 in my first year owning it, and I figure I will shoot the 10mm less. Honestly I have no idea but that's a rough guess for you. However, I do plan on shooting some of the hottest loads I can find. I haven't gotten into reloading yet, but something tells me I will soon. As for wearing out a S&W 1006 which is what I plan on acquiring (or a 1026, depends on the deal :)).I don't really see that happening.

For myself, if I bought a 10mm for going into the wilds of Alaska, and didn't use the gun for regular target practice, is it your contention/concern that I should be wary?

The 10mm is an excellent backwoods pistol in my opinion. A 200 grain bullet at 1,200+ FPS and 700+ ft.-lbs. of energy (Double Tap JHP) in a semi-auto is just badass. I personally think that every major semi auto pistol manufacturer should offer .41 Magnum, but that's just me. Haha.

You said the Glock 20 shouldn't be fired with full loads without having a totally supported barrel - I'm not sure what that term means - do you mean that the round has to be entirely surrounded by the barrel, rather than a portion of the case near the base be hanging in the air above the ramp?

I'm definitely not an expert. Mostly internet taught with some of my own possibly ignorant logic involved. That being said, yes I think that's the concern.

Thanks again.

Sure! :dude:

The Truth

Found a cheap price on a Gen 4 G20...might impulse buy it and score a Lonewolf 9x25 Dillon conversion barrel for it. Standby...I'm going nutty!

The Truth

Well the pistol was an auction sale, withe price started at $400 and a buy-it-now set at $580. I asked the guy what his reserve was and he answered $575. :banghead:

Still planning on this being my next pistol purchase though. Gen 4 Glock 20sf with a Lone Wolf ported 5.6" 9x25 Dillon conversion. Mmmmm.....

The Truth

Got another line on a deal. I'll probably be OCing a plastic gun at our next meeting ;)

I can't let the missus go unarmed any longer. She'll inherit my Sig .40 until she finds a pistol she wants. Glock 20 will be my daily carry now.

Marco

Got another line on a deal. I'll probably be OCing a plastic gun at our next meeting ;)

I can't let the missus go unarmed any longer. She'll inherit my Sig .40 until she finds a pistol she wants. Glock 20 will be my daily carry now.

Here's some 10mm ammo in your area:

LW bbl

And if you want a Blackhawk CQC I know someone that has one for cheap...

Jeff Hayes

LOL Glock, Kimber and EEA purposefully design firearms that are not able to fire standard ammo, no liability there at all.

ROTFLMAO the average guy will shoot enough to wear a firearm out.

All 10 mm ammo is about the same as 40 S&W, if you believe that you are truly stupid, sorry but I do not know any other way to say that.

10 mm has so much recoil that it is hard to handle, only real men can take recoil on that level. Any real men up for the challenge of, wait for it, full power 10 mm loads? Remember only a real man can take that kind of recoil so only real men need purchase a 10 mm. Don't ever claim we did not warn you. You can take your buddy out shooting and show him how a real man can handle the severe recoil from a 10 mm if you buy one today.

Primus

LOL Glock, Kimber and EEA purposefully design firearms that are not able to fire standard ammo, no liability there at all.

ROTFLMAO the average guy will shoot enough to wear a firearm out.

All 10 mm ammo is about the same as 40 S&W, if you believe that you are truly stupid, sorry but I do not know any other way to say that.

10 mm has so much recoil that it is hard to handle, only real men can take recoil on that level. Any real men up for the challenge of, wait for it, full power 10 mm loads? Remember only a real man can take that kind of recoil so only real men need purchase a 10 mm. Don't ever claim we did not warn you. You can take your buddy out shooting and show him how a real man can handle the severe recoil from a 10 mm if you buy one today.
What? Is this half sarcasm half seriousness?