• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What do you carry?

Ezek

if and when I do, it is my Ruger SR9. but that is not very often as it makes the wife nervous, and little fingers of the 5 year old probably best off not seeing it and thinking toy.

so I open carry keys in between the knuckles most of the time, as well as try to keep an above average situational awareness.

mynameiscolb

Can't remember if I've posted in this thread or not, so here goes...

I carry a Springfield XD 9mm (4" barrel, 16+1), in a Serpa Blackhawk CQC holster. A Gerber Paraframe serated folding knife. And 2 spare mags.

I don't have a carry flashlight yet...but I have my eyes on a small SureFire that I've heard good things about.

Firearms Iinstuctor

if and when I do, it is my Ruger SR9. but that is not very often as it makes the wife nervous, and little fingers of the 5 year old probably best off not seeing it and thinking toy.

so I open carry keys in between the knuckles most of the time, as well as try to keep an above average situational awareness.

I had my children shooting by 5 they knew the different between a real gun and a toy gun by then. Can't start them to early on gun safety and explaining teaching things to them,

Good luck with your carrying

MAC702

Campaign Veteran

Kids don't think guns are toys unless they have been taught, by toys or by TV, that to be so. They are at the best age now to be taught the difference. I shot my first gun at 5, and have respected them ever since. I was not allowed toy guns. The concept is foreign to me.

And since you already have the Ruger SR9, the safest place for it to be is at your side.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Presume you have never struck anything that way - you will lacerate you fingers badly. Better to hold and use a key as a bladed tool - very effective.

Ezek

Presume you have never struck anything that way - you will lacerate you fingers badly. Better to hold and use a key as a bladed tool - very effective.

for those presuming 5 is a good age for my daughter, I am sorry but I know her and her mentality better then you guys do, NO she is not ready for it. we have been teaching her the difference between a real one and a toy, but as for it to be out around her, no, she is too touchy and grabby and curious about things she is not suppose to touch.

and no grape I have not, although my car key actually has a rather large round head that is somewhat padded to protect the sentry resistor in it. that is the one I primarily use, and I hold them a little differently then most people.. they face more straight downwards if my palm was held out straight and down, I also keep in mind "soft tissue" like the throat, eyes or ears. and if anything a good groin strike usually suffices.

it's not about fair, it's about survival.

Firearms Iinstuctor

, no, she is too touchy and grabby and curious about things she is not suppose to touch.

Sounds like this problem needs to be taken care of first.

I instructed hundreds of children of various ages about fire arms. I find them to be very attentive when given the proper training.

Ezek

Sounds like this problem needs to be taken care of first.

I instructed hundreds of children of various ages about fire arms. I find them to be very attentive when given the proper training.

let me put this into a better perspective..

Curiousity killed the cat right? and cats have 9 lives, so curiousity is death 9x over, her level is effectively ad infinum

the problem is she has a mechanical curiosuity and likes to know how things work, and thus has taken apart some of her more complex toys already, or at least attempted to, the problem lies in a serious lack of cautious discretion when doing so, as fear is a non factor, and so is a severe lack of knowledge of kinetics.

and attentive? yeah she is attentive, but she is also severely stubborn and hard headed, basically applies what I like to call the burger king principle to everything, "I get to have it my way" even though I never let her have it her way unless it is mutually acceptable. so she refuses to listen and will continue to grab at things till she gets them ( persistence of unbelievable magnitude). there are also other factors at play that I am taking a wait and see approach on cause I am unsure currently due to age and imagination.

mynameiscolb

let me put this into a better perspective..

Curiousity killed the cat right? and cats have 9 lives, so curiousity is death 9x over, her level is effectively ad infinum

the problem is she has a mechanical curiosuity and likes to know how things work, and thus has taken apart some of her more complex toys already, or at least attempted to, the problem lies in a serious lack of cautious discretion when doing so, as fear is a non factor, and so is a severe lack of knowledge of kinetics.

and attentive? yeah she is attentive, but she is also severely stubborn and hard headed, basically applies what I like to call the burger king principle to everything, "I get to have it my way" even though I never let her have it her way unless it is mutually acceptable. so she refuses to listen and will continue to grab at things till she gets them ( persistence of unbelievable magnitude). there are also other factors at play that I am taking a wait and see approach on cause I am unsure currently due to age and imagination.
I wouldn't waste anymore time explaining your stance. You, as the parent, are correct. You determine the best course of action for your child.

Some folks seem to think every child is programmed exactly alike, and can't understand why all kids can't be taught the same material at the same age.

It's good that you are in tune with your child, and recognize her traits, and their advantages or disadvantages. There's no point in forcing the issue and risking bad results.

FreeInAZ

One of the better things the NRA has done:

http://youtu.be/wIEBrb_wRYc

FreeInAZ

I will add taking the mystery out of guns is a valuable aid in gun safety too. I grew up staying summers at my grandparents house. One of the 1st things my grandfather did was show me his safe and told me about gun safety and also told me, if I wanted to see his guns or had questions to simply ask, (which of course it did). He allowed me to handle them after safety checking and even let me take down a old single barrel shotgun. When I was older he taught me how to shoot.

Honestly some of the best memories of my life. It also took away the desire to go snooping around, as I knew grandpa had the combination in his head & all I had to do was ask to see them. :)

Firearms Iinstuctor

I will add taking the mystery out of guns is a valuable aid in gun safety too. I grew up staying summers at my grandparents house. One of the 1st things my grandfather did was show me his safe and told me about gun safety and also told me, if I wanted to see his guns or had questions to simply ask, (which of course it did). He allowed me to handle them after safety checking and even let me take down a old single barrel shotgun. When I was older he taught me how to shoot.

Honestly some of the best memories of my life. It also took away the desire to go snooping around, as I knew grandpa had the combination in his head & all I had to do was ask to see them. :)

+1

mnrobitaille

I've stated it in a few other threads, but will post again.

I'm carrying a S&W M&P Shield 9 in a Blackhawk! Ambidextrous IWB/OWB Holster with Mag Pouch. The extra mag is a 7 shot, while the 8 round mag is loaded. Only thing I have not done yet is have a round chambered.

I do have a Washington State CPL so while traveling in vehicle, my sidearm stays on my hip.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I've stated it in a few other threads, but will post again.

I'm carrying a S&W M&P Shield 9 in a Blackhawk! Ambidextrous IWB/OWB Holster with Mag Pouch. The extra mag is a 7 shot, while the 8 round mag is loaded. Only thing I have not done yet is have a round chambered.

I do have a Washington State CPL so while traveling in vehicle, my sidearm stays on my hip.
I personally dislike and do not carry with an unchambered round. Such requires an extra step which I may not have time to perform. While accuracy is paramount, time is still a very important aspect.

mnrobitaille

I personally dislike and do not carry with an unchambered round. Such requires an extra step which I may not have time to perform. While accuracy is paramount, time is still a very important aspect.

Concerning carrying unchambered, I'm getting more comfortable with OCing, but am taking small progressive steps to be more comfortable carrying overall.

I got my mother looking at OCing as well with her 1976 Bicentennial Edition Ruger .38 Special. She just wants to get her CPL first beforehand, so she does not have to unload every time she gets in the car.

Firearms Iinstuctor

It takes a lot of training to remember to chamber a round when the SHTF In training almost all of the I carry with out a round in the chamber types forget to chamber a round when the pressure is put on. They remember when their firearm goes click instead of bang.

But each to their own

mynameiscolb

You also have to consider that you may only have one hand available when you need to draw.

I practice drawing my (unloaded) firearm from my carry holster quite a bit, finishing with a dry fire.