• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry experience thread.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...Now a little clarification to your clarification.
IN AZ we use the term discreet carry vs. concealed carry. This is so we do not further the notion that carrying a gun should be something to hide or must be a secret. It is legal -only criminals must conceal here. ;)

Who are "we?"
AZ law 4-229 said:
4-229. Licenses; handguns; posting of notice
A. A person with a permit issued pursuant to section 13-3112 may carry a concealed handgun on the premises of a licensee who is an on-sale retailer unless the licensee posts a sign that clearly prohibits the possession of weapons on the licensed premises.

So it's okay to further the notion that carrying a gun should be done "discreetly?"

If "Discreet" v "Concealed" warrants clarification, I'm afraid I still don't see how you've done it.

I don't mean that to sound as adversarial as it might sound, but I just didn't understand the "clarification."

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

No time for fighting with you mac. I was speaking for many who feel this way 8,000 + people that I know of. I do not speak for all of AZ, just as you do not speak for all of NV.

"We" are many who fight for gun rights here in AZ. AZCDL is one of the biggest supporters of this terminology shift. I know you teach CONCEALED carry courses, if that's your issue here? Discreet has a less negative tone and does not play into stereo typing by the media. You should read through the link I posted above and that site. It is by one of the most known 2A advocates in AZ Mr. Alan Korwin.

Now can we please stop derailing this tread?

FreeInAZ

On topic -

OC'd & carried Discreetly for dinner out with my daughter. No issues, as always. No bad guy busted through the door's and targeted me because I was open carrying...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
No time for fighting with you mac. I was speaking for many who feel this way 8,000 + people that I know of. I do not speak for all of AZ, just as you do not speak for all of NV.

"We" are many who fight for gun rights here in AZ. AZCDL is one of the biggest supporters of this terminology shift. I know you teach CONCEALED carry courses, if that's your issue here? Discreet has a less negative tone and does not play into stereo typing by the media. You should read through the link I posted above and that site. It is by one of the most known 2A advocates in AZ Mr. Alan Korwin.

Now can we please stop derailing this tread?

No fighting, just was curious how it is such a critical difference (and one unexplained in the correction) that warrants correcting someone else who was using the exact terms used in the law. Carry on.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

View attachment 10256

Every place I go, San Tan Valley, Chandler, Mesa, Apache Junction,, etc, open and proud of it, discreetly LOL,

Well don't laugh too loud. OCers (non police ) account for a teeny, tiny % of those who legally carry. The idea that one should have to hide, conceal a legal activity is in it's own a bizarre concept. Imagine if everyone wore masks to hide their identity from others, so those easily offended by "whatever" did not get their knickers in a twist. So calling it discreet is a step towards removing the stigma of carrying a firearm that seems to be all too common in todays society.

On topic - OCing & carrying a discreet sidearm also right now. :D

Last edited:

Weado

Doing my groceries at Fry's here in Yuma again, no problems as usual. Almost no glances. Didn't carry when I went with my fiancee to the Wetlands park here, although not prohibited as per their own regulations (that is, the parks department), they leave it up to the discretion of any parks personnel to limited your exposure and maintain a family atmosphere. I decided it wasn't worth the hassle and just left it at home. We came across nobody while walking there, so next time I think I will OC there when we go for our next hike and if they want me to "limit" my exposure of the firearm, then I will just discreetly pull my shirt over it haha

Paver1055

I OC everyday except when I pick my kids up from school. It's like the old American express statements-- Never leave home without it. I get the thumbs up and thank you from most workers at the SAMs club I frequent.

Weado

Went to Walmart and OC'd with no problems. The only issue I had was not being able to find 9mm ammo haha Stopped at the McDonald's they have inside for a quick bite to eat and the manager was curious about any possible permits you needed for discreet or OC. I informed him on the rights we enjoy in Arizona and he was pleasantly surprised to learn that he didn't need any at all. Very good experiences thus far and looking forward to many more.

AZRobert

Yesterday Walmart and Subway with my new Sig SP2022 today around the apartment complex and a walk around the block with the dog and no issues as normal.

Welcome to Yuma Weado

Weado

Thanks AzRobert. I am loving it here.

Update on the OC, I was at the Fry's here in Yuma when I was waiting in line and I had a woman approach me. She said she wanted to talk to me for a second, so I greeted her and told her my name. She started by saying "You know, with everything that's going on in this day and age". At this point in the sentence I figure she was going to start harassing me about opening carrying, so I got myself ready for that. Then she continued "it's great to see what you are doing. It makes me feel really good. Thank you.".

I thanked her for the recognition and I said "Not sure if you will believe this, but I'm actually Canadian." and then showed her my Ontario driver's license. I told her I was very proud to be in America because I believe what it stands for and Canada has given up too much freedom.

It's nice to know that even though she herself may have never carried or never will in the future, that she supports everyone's right to do so. It was a very nice experience and I hope to see her there again when I am doing my groceries this afternoon.

AZRobert

Today was Albertson's on Ave B, CVS and the dog park in the apartment complex. One of the other folks in the dog park noticed I wasn't carrying the 1911 and commented on it, we chatted about guns for a few and then went on our merry way.

No issues just like normal.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I was in Laughlin for the River Run today. OC'd the entire trip (which including a little tour through Bullhead City, AZ) on the motorcycle with the big stainless revolver with the red, white, and blue grips; impossible to miss. I got nothing but looks, including from the several police officers.

I concealed while in the vendor areas, as OC would have practically guaranteed being asked to leave.

FreeInAZ

I was in Laughlin for the River Run today. OC'd the entire trip (which including a little tour through Bullhead City, AZ) on the motorcycle with the big stainless revolver with the red, white, and blue grips; impossible to miss. I got nothing but looks, including from the several police officers.

I concealed while in the vendor areas, as OC would have practically guaranteed being asked to leave.

Well hell, I'd look too - it sounds like a beautiful rig. +1 :D

Last edited:

Theoden

First post, first encounter with LE

First post for me, been reading the forums or a while but I wanted to share my first encounter with LE while carrying. The girlfriend and I were walking the canals in Mesa around 8:30 the other night with the dog when we notice a car driving towards us. Once I see the spotlight looking around I realize it's a cruiser. He stops next to us and asked if we had seen anyone in all black come by, which we had not. He continued on a ways then turned around, stopped by us again and apologized for making us move off the path and continued on. Very friendly officer, not sure if he noticed me carrying or not but I'm sure glad I was with a suspect on the loose in the area. Happy my first LE encounter was a positive one, and that I live in Arizona!

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Outstanding! Welcome to OCDO; please continue to share your experiences and opinions with us!

FreeInAZ

Carried all over today no issues as usual. Wish more states saw the wisdom in a population that can protect its self. ;)