• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry experience thread.

davesnothere

Paver1055

I OC'd last weekend and a group of 20 ish commented that it was not allowed. I simply replied that on a public sidewalk according to the law, I can. An older gentleman approaching us turned to them and explains the same thing. The younger bunch had the gall to say that's why they voted Obama. The older guy said well now we know why you said what ya did, looked at me and said carry on, shook my hand and we went our separate ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FreeInAZ

I OC'd last weekend and a group of 20 ish commented that it was not allowed. I simply replied that on a public sidewalk according to the law, I can. An older gentleman approaching us turned to them and explains the same thing. The younger bunch had the gall to say that's why they voted Obama. The older guy said well now we know why you said what ya did, looked at me and said carry on, shook my hand and we went our separate ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No fixing stupid I guess? I would have been tempted to say: I think people under 30 cannot speak in public...yes ...that's it, because I do not like to hear nonsense, I am sure it is illegal - as I *imagine* there are laws against everyone or things I do not like or agree with. Welcome to AMERIKA Commrades! :p

On topic - have OCed @ home depot, subway, circle k on walks with the dog and not been arrested - so my police force must not have gotten the memo the 20 ishes sent out..:D

FreeInAZ

Especially odd considering that stupid commercial serves to reinforce the idea that it is only normal for cops to carry guns.

You have to admit it is a little funny. Your point is spot on, but you can't blame Glock for pandering to their largest sales demographic (65% of US LEA use Glock pistols).

On topic OCed all over today with no issues - :D

FreeInAZ

OCed all about today. Bonus - I saw another OCer at Scottsdale Wal-Mart near 101 & Raintree. Thought I might get lucky and find some ammo...:rolleyes: Never hurts to dream.:p

FreeInAZ

OC'd today on my usual tasks. ;) If you guys are tired of my adventures...(boring, I know)...feel free to post. To date I have only seen three OCers in the wild here in AZ. I know there must be others. :confused:

Weado

Like I said in my intro thread, I look forward to adding my OC experience here as well. I saw only 1 OC in the wild here so far in my 1 month of being in Yuma. It was also at a wal-mart. You are in Phoenix, so I doubt I will see you in the wild. It may be more likely I might see you while I am in Phoenix in a few months getting married and completing paper work though :p If you see a tall, pale, snowbird with a Ruger SR9 in Phoenix some time in july / august, that's me haha

FreeInAZ

Well I live northeast of phoenix in the cave creek/carefree area. If you ever see me you will know me by my many battle scars obtained in multiple tours of one of the most dangerous war zones known to man...DETROIT... :rolleyes: (just kidding - I do have scary scars though).

PS - it is impossible to be a snowbird (to me anyways) until you are a senior citizen, @ 27 you have a long way to go ...:p

Last edited:

Weado

Went for a beautiful bike ride today around Yuma (pedal bike, not a motorcycle or anything) to run some errands. Walked in to a circle K for a drink and a snack, had no issues, and the clerk actually asked about the type of pistol and how much when I was at the counter. Out and around the street there were not many pedestrians, but the people I did see were all friendly. It was a great first open carry experience and I look forward to many more without incident here in the lovely state of Arizona. Picked up a nice leather double magazine pouch today. I also suspect the Ruger SR9 magazine I picked up is the last in the city lol No luck on ammo or anything today, but I will keep an eye out.

We also have a wind warning here right now, my legs got a great work out riding in to the wind haha

FreeInAZ

@weado - glad it went well. If you plan on riding at night make sure it has a front light (white) & a rear light (red) as I have been told is required by law here in AZ.

On topic OC'd also at Circle K, then Fry's and Subway - no issues as, usual. :D

Weado

Thanks Free. I remember reading that in the booklet that came with my bike. I'm one of the rare breeds that reads the manuals front to back when I get something new. Part of my ritual lol

I will be heading to another local gun shop tomorrow called Sprague's to see if they have some 9mm for me to purchase. They had a 1 box limit last time I was there :(

I'll post back tomorrow and let you know if I get lucky with the ammo.

dumpnpump

As an Illinois snow bird and soon to be Arizonian, I did not realize that OC had been legal since 2008. In the 45 minutes I was waiting for the wife in a grocery store in Phoenix and while sitting on the bench I think I might have seen just one concealed carry weapon. And that one went by so fast that I was not sure if it was a weapon or a cell phone holster. Seems the weapons carriers of Arizona are for the most part quite reserved as to carrying. You are right though that as more and more people oc, the practice will become more and more common and acceptable.

FreeInAZ

Welcome. :)

FYI - Since mid 2010 AZ is a Constitutional Carry state. This means all people/YOU (if of age / not prohibited from owning firearms / in the state legally) can carry openly or discreetly on your person, in a vehicle, etc...etc... The only no carry places for a non CCW holder are place that serve alcohol by the glass for consumption on site & posted no gun properties.

See this article for the scoop. On AZ con.carry. :D
http://www.gunlaws.com/ConstitutionalCarryEnacted.htm

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
FYI - Since mid 2010 AZ is a Constitutional Carry state. This means all people/YOU (if of age / not prohibited from owning firearms / in the state legally) can carry openly or discreetly on your person, in a vehicle, etc...etc... The only no carry places for a non CCW holder are place that serve alcohol by the glass for consumption on site & posted no gun properties.

A little clarification on "of age:"

18 can open carry; 21 adds the option of concealment.

Additional details: Places that serve alcohol that are not posted are still off limits to open carry, and you must have a permit for concealment in those establishments (and you still can't drink while there.)

FreeInAZ

A little clarification on "of age:"

18 can open carry; 21 adds the option of concealment.

Additional details: Places that serve alcohol that are not posted are still off limits to open carry, and you must have a permit for concealment in those establishments (and you still can't drink while there.)

Thanks for details I was just in a rush this morning. Now a little clarification to your clarification.
IN AZ we use the term discreet carry vs. concealed carry. This is so we do not further the notion that carrying a gun should be something to hide or must be a secret. It is legal -only criminals must conceal here. ;)

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Now back on topic - OC'd today & am OCing now - no issues as usual. My screen name is a reflection of how I feel about the Great state of Arizona. While not perfect, it is a hell of a lot more "free" in my mind than the place I used to be a subject of :D. Carry on openly or discreetly or both. ;)