• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Permission to Purchase, Etc.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
Oahu Firearms Owners Wait as Long as Nine Hours Over Three Visits to Obtain Registration, Permits

BY MALIA ZIMMERMAN - Oahu firearms owners are increasingly frustrated with long lines at the registration desk at the main Honolulu Police Department (HPD) station. Hawaii's firearms registration laws are among the strictest in the country, and mandate gun owners must register firearms within 72 hours of purchase.

Firearms owners can spend more than nine hours in line over three visits to obtain a permit for a firearm and register it, according to Dr. Max Cooper, a legislative liaison for the Hawaii Rifle Association, with rules differing for handguns and long guns.

http://www.hawaiireporter.com/oahu-...ree-visits-to-obtain-registration-permits/123

sharkey

I see an ADA lawsuit with all those stairs, or someone with a bladder issue and the long waits.

Haoleb

It is pretty ridiculous. Luckily for me I am on the Big Island and we can register at any of the police stations. However it is only for a 2 hour window each day and of course anyone with a job usually works those hours.

On Oahu however they all have to go to one station and people have been going down there to wait in line in the middle of the night. It is not usually that bad but for the last few weeks it has been...

davidmcbeth

Banned
One should check and see if your state law would allow an estoppel defense for not registering due to the lack of being able to.

If you show up on the 3rd day and they don't serve you because they don't want you to own a gun (really, that's what it is)...they could have 10 people out on the line with clipboards if they desired to...then would you have a good defense for not registering at all?

END_THE_FED

One should check and see if your state law would allow an estoppel defense for not registering due to the lack of being able to.

If you show up on the 3rd day and they don't serve you because they don't want you to own a gun (really, that's what it is)...they could have 10 people out on the line with clipboards if they desired to...then would you have a good defense for not registering at all?

Believe it or not it actually takes 3 visits when everything "goes right". (for new firearm purchases anyway)
IIRC On the first visit you will apply for a permit to acquire, on the second visit you will pick up your permit, on the third visit you will register your firearm.

sudden valley gunner

Believe it or not it actually takes 3 visits when everything "goes right". (for new firearm purchases anyway)
IIRC On the first visit you will apply for a permit to acquire, on the second visit you will pick up your permit, on the third visit you will register your firearm.

It's easier to bring them in from out of state then it's one visit to register. Then again how many people do?

sudden valley gunner

Or just manufacture your own weapon .. HI has never been pro-gun ... one would think that they should be pro pro pro gun but they ain't ..

Was quite a bit different when I was younger there, it's a perfect example of how the state is never satisfied with just a little control they will keep going and going and going.....

When I was younger I used to bring guns back and forth from Washington all the time, no special checks no TSA, no ID to fly, go shooting on my Uncles range on the Big Island, had a local Japanese man who would turn my cheap SKS's into cool looking "assault rifles".....guns were fairly common, lots of people carried.

Now they carried by lots of people too, those who don't care about the law, and those who know the law doesn't protect them from the former.