• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where'd you O.C. today and how'd it go?

Beware of Gun

Question

My son and I OCed at 4 different places yesterday,, HyVee, HyVee conveinence store (complimented by clerk) (watched like a hawk by gas customer), Dillons and Dollar general. First time that we have OCed and will continue to exercise our 2A rights

So when you went to these stores, did you have to retrieve your weapons from the trunk or do you lock them up in a box when driving? I want to open carry but I had a run in with a loaded weapon in a vehicle about 20 years ago. Don't want to do that again. How do you handle that?

Last edited:

LeviR

This past Friday I open carried at Chipotle in Manhattan. Had some older guy in line behind me sneer. He can laugh all he wants, I'm not walking around defenseless.

Yesterday I OC'd at the Dairy Queen on the west side of town. An employee behind the counter saw my Glock 23 and looked at me funny. It looked like she said something to the manager but no one approached me. My wife was OCing with me as well.

Last edited:

LeviR

So when you went to these stores, did you have to retrieve your weapons from the trunk or do you lock them up in a box when driving? I want to open carry but I had a run in with a loaded weapon in a vehicle about 20 years ago. Don't want to do that again. How do you handle that?

I just drop the mag and put both the mag and pistol in my glove compartment. I carry condition 3 so I'm not always loading/unloading it. Sometimes I don't bother and just leave it in the holster. I have been unable to find a definition in the law of "concealed". The recent AG opinions say "not in plain view" or something. A special investigator at the AG office I spoke with a couple weeks ago said that "concealed" was "in a container that completely encloses the firearm." So, take all that for what it's worth. I'm not a lawyer.

Some relevant info from this page: http://handgunlaw.us/states/kansas.pdf

"(a) No city or county shall adopt any ordinance, resolution or regulation, and no agent of any city or county
shall take any administrative action, governing the purchase, transfer, ownership, storage or transporting of
firearms or ammunition, or any component or combination thereof. Except as provided in subsection (b) and
subsection (a) of K.S.A. 2009 Supp. 75-7c11, and amendments thereto, any such ordinance, resolution or
regulation adopted prior to the effective date of this 2007 act shall be null and void.
(4) prohibit a city or county from adopting an ordinance, resolution or regulation requiring a firearm
transported in any air, land or water vehicle to be unloaded and encased in a container which completely
encloses the firearm or any less restrictive provision governing the transporting of firearms, provided such
ordinance, resolution or regulation shall not apply to persons licensed under the personal and family
protection act. "

"4. If the language “immediate control of a person” in K.S.A. 12-16,124(b)(2) includes
carrying a firearm in a vehicle, does this include the glove compartment or under
the seat?
Answer: As noted above, the area in “immediate control” of an occupant of a vehicle is
the area within “reaching distance” of that person.5
By this standard, a glove
compartment or the area beneath a seat would likely be considered within the
immediate control of an occupant of a vehicle. K.S.A. 2010 Supp. 12-16,124 does not
define “concealed,” so we apply the ordinary meaning of the word, which is “kept from
sight or view.”6
A firearm stored under a seat or inside a glove compartment is kept from
sight or view, and thus would be considered a concealed firearm outside the scope of
K.S.A. 2010 Supp. 12-16,124(b)(2)."

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/agopinions/KSAGOpinionPreemption12_2011.pdf

Beware of Gun

I just drop the mag and put both the mag and pistol in my glove compartment. I carry condition 3 so I'm not always loading/unloading it. Sometimes I don't bother and just leave it in the holster. I have been unable to find a definition in the law of "concealed". The recent AG opinions say "not in plain view" or something. A special investigator at the AG office I spoke with a couple weeks ago said that "concealed" was "in a container that completely encloses the firearm." So, take all that for what it's worth. I'm not a lawyer.

Some relevant info from this page: http://handgunlaw.us/states/kansas.pdf

"(a) No city or county shall adopt any ordinance, resolution or regulation, and no agent of any city or county
shall take any administrative action, governing the purchase, transfer, ownership, storage or transporting of
firearms or ammunition, or any component or combination thereof. Except as provided in subsection (b) and
subsection (a) of K.S.A. 2009 Supp. 75-7c11, and amendments thereto, any such ordinance, resolution or
regulation adopted prior to the effective date of this 2007 act shall be null and void.
(4) prohibit a city or county from adopting an ordinance, resolution or regulation requiring a firearm
transported in any air, land or water vehicle to be unloaded and encased in a container which completely
encloses the firearm or any less restrictive provision governing the transporting of firearms, provided such
ordinance, resolution or regulation shall not apply to persons licensed under the personal and family
protection act. "

"4. If the language “immediate control of a person” in K.S.A. 12-16,124(b)(2) includes
carrying a firearm in a vehicle, does this include the glove compartment or under
the seat?
Answer: As noted above, the area in “immediate control” of an occupant of a vehicle is
the area within “reaching distance” of that person.5
By this standard, a glove
compartment or the area beneath a seat would likely be considered within the
immediate control of an occupant of a vehicle. K.S.A. 2010 Supp. 12-16,124 does not
define “concealed,” so we apply the ordinary meaning of the word, which is “kept from
sight or view.”6
A firearm stored under a seat or inside a glove compartment is kept from
sight or view, and thus would be considered a concealed firearm outside the scope of
K.S.A. 2010 Supp. 12-16,124(b)(2)."

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/agopinions/KSAGOpinionPreemption12_2011.pdf

There just seems to be a whole lot gray area. I also heard someone say you could not carry loaded. Kind of defeats the purpose and a greater risk of having it taken away from you. Being in Wichita I just have not seen enough evidence making it worth it. I think I will wait till I get my CC license. I don't want to risk doing something that would hinder me from doing that. Thanks for your reply and if you have any other advice please feel free.

LeviR

There just seems to be a whole lot gray area. I also heard someone say you could not carry loaded. Kind of defeats the purpose and a greater risk of having it taken away from you. Being in Wichita I just have not seen enough evidence making it worth it. I think I will wait till I get my CC license. I don't want to risk doing something that would hinder me from doing that. Thanks for your reply and if you have any other advice please feel free.

Yeah, I agree it's gray. Supposedly there is some legislation the Kansas State Rifle Assoc. put together that will help. Won't see the light of day til next year though.

You can carry loaded. If someone tells you something, tell them to cite a law.
Carrying in condition 3 doesn't defeat the purpose at all. One of the advantages of OC is that the firearm is visible and can act as a deterrent. There is also a tactical advantage of a faster draw. I don't see why condition 3 makes it easier for it to be taken. That's what retention holsters are for.

I hope you will reconsider carrying. Did you have a run-in with the law that makes you nervous? I can understand that. I would suggest calling the state AG office and get in touch with a special investigator. They may be able to ease your mind. I know they did so for me.

Beware of Gun

Yeah, I agree it's gray. Supposedly there is some legislation the Kansas State Rifle Assoc. put together that will help. Won't see the light of day til next year though.

You can carry loaded. If someone tells you something, tell them to cite a law.
Carrying in condition 3 doesn't defeat the purpose at all. One of the advantages of OC is that the firearm is visible and can act as a deterrent. There is also a tactical advantage of a faster draw. I don't see why condition 3 makes it easier for it to be taken. That's what retention holsters are for.

I hope you will reconsider carrying. Did you have a run-in with the law that makes you nervous? I can understand that. I would suggest calling the state AG office and get in touch with a special investigator. They may be able to ease your mind. I know they did so for me.

About 25 years ago I was in a wreck that was not my fault (other party ran red light). I was on my way to go shoot trap. I had an older shotgun and it had two shells that were jammed in the magazine/chamber. Instead of taking them out I just threw it in the back seat and headed off to go shoot thinking I would get them out later. I had the wreck they seen the gun in the backseat and I was arrested for having a loaded weapon in the vehicle. Eventually got it dropped but it was a big hassle. I just don't want something similar because I am waiting for my CC license. I just don't want something stupid to happen and damage my chances.

LeviR

About 25 years ago I was in a wreck that was not my fault (other party ran red light). I was on my way to go shoot trap. I had an older shotgun and it had two shells that were jammed in the magazine/chamber. Instead of taking them out I just threw it in the back seat and headed off to go shoot thinking I would get them out later. I had the wreck they seen the gun in the backseat and I was arrested for having a loaded weapon in the vehicle. Eventually got it dropped but it was a big hassle. I just don't want something similar because I am waiting for my CC license. I just don't want something stupid to happen and damage my chances.

Man, that is rough. Sorry to hear that it was a hassle but I'm glad you got it dropped.

On the bright side, my wife was OCing at the HyVee in Manhattan today and got a compliment from another store patron. Glad to see not everyone in Manhattan is a bed-wetter!

Jeff Cramer

Ok not today but last week throughout the week. From Texas visiting relatives I opened carried a few times, Gander Mountain in Wichita, The Bullet Stop Wichita, Cabella's Wichita, Casey's in Oxford, Penny's Diner and Wallmart in Wellington, Home on The Range and some little diner in Winfield. No one seemed to notice, one conversation at HOR but nothing special. Nice week at The Farm, blew up some cans, poked holes in stuff and hit some steel at The Trigger Guard in Wellington. Also had some fun on the 180 degree virtual range at Gander mt.

DonConrad

I opened carried this week @

I opened carried this week at ACE Hardware Westway Shopping Center , Sam's Club W Kellogg, O'Reilly Auto Parts Parts S Seneca, (complimented by clerk @ ACE Hardware ) No problems.

C-dub

All this talk about loaded vs. unloaded has me questioning what I thought I knew was acceptable. I have had a Texas CHL since 2001, that is honored in Kansas, and during my last couple of trips to Kansas have begun to OC.

I thought only certain cities had, illegal, restrictions on carrying a loaded handgun. i.e. Wichita

Other than situations like that, I thought I could carry loaded and a round in the chamber everywhere except where I couldn't carry my handgun at all.

Super6O

All this talk about loaded vs. unloaded has me questioning what I thought I knew was acceptable. I have had a Texas CHL since 2001, that is honored in Kansas, and during my last couple of trips to Kansas have begun to OC.

I thought only certain cities had, illegal, restrictions on carrying a loaded handgun. i.e. Wichita

Other than situations like that, I thought I could carry loaded and a round in the chamber everywhere except where I couldn't carry my handgun at all.

Yeah there are only a handful of localities that remain out of compliance with state law. Wichita recently changed to be in line.

C-dub

My daughter and I are back from our semi-annual trip to Kansas to visit my parents. I was intending on openly carrying to Walmart since I figured that might be one of the most friendly OC places around. However, the only cover shirt I took with me I wore on the drive up and took it off once across the Texas/Oklahoma border and tossed it in the trunk. I had two other shirts on hangers on my bedroom door, but forgot grab them and hang them up in the car for the trip. It always seems like I forget something. I wonder if this time it was subconsciously intentional. Hmmm. My mom is still gets a little anxious when I mention I want to try OC, so the only place I didn't OC was to The Longhorn Steakhouse on Father's Day because I didn't know their policy and didn't want to deal with having to return it to the car if they didn't allow it.

The next day after arriving we needed to go into town to try and find a Father's Day gift for my dad. Best Buy has the box set of M*A*S*H DVDs, but I couldn't find it down here and by the time I remembered that's what I wanted to get him it was too late to order as it was also on back-order from their website. Lucky me, the BB in Lawrence had to sets. Then we needed to go over to Walmart to pick up groceries and the obligatory ammo check (nothing I shoot on their shelf). After that we stopped at Panda Express to pick up some lunch to take back to the house. I expected to go through the drive-thru, but this one doesn't have one so in we go to a third place.

In all three places I'm not sure even one person batted an eye. No one asked my any questions related to my sidearm or seemed the slightest bit tense. Now, the funny thing is that on the way back to the house after Panda I asked my 11y old daughter what she thought about it and she asked, "About what?" LOL I told her I had been openly carrying since we left the house and she didn't even notice. I OC at our house in TX and at my parents' place in KS so much that she didn't think about it when we left their house to go into town.

The next day we went to Topeka to my favorite LGS and then into a little grocery mart to pick up a tomato and onion we forgot at Walmart the day before. No looks there either. Well, a little look at the LGS, but I guess they would be a little more alert than your average grocery store clerk. Anyway, they remembered me, I come in every time I'm up and bought a very nice Colt rifle from them last year before all the craziness.

Had a great trip and was surprisingly comfortable with OCing. I didn't come into contact with any LE. I'm glad about that, but also can't say how it went since it didn't happen.

C-dub

One thing I forgot to mention. Although I was glad to get back to Texas, I was a little saddened to have to don my cover shirt. We didn't get it done this session, but hopefully one of these days we will before I get too old.

Super6O

Glad you had all good experiences. That's kinda the norm here. Other than the few hold out cities, and they are drying up.

Last edited:

LeviR

One thing I forgot to mention. Although I was glad to get back to Texas, I was a little saddened to have to don my cover shirt. We didn't get it done this session, but hopefully one of these days we will before I get too old.

I'm moving my family to Corpus Christi in a couple months. I hope we get our Arizona permits before we get down there, since open carry is not allowed. I think we're going to love Texas, but I'd love for OC to be an option.

LeviR

My mom is still gets a little anxious when I mention I want to try OC, so the only place I didn't OC was to The Longhorn Steakhouse on Father's Day because I didn't know their policy and didn't want to deal with having to return it to the car if they didn't allow it.

LongHorn is a Darden Restaurants chain. Darden does not allow managers to post "no guns allowed" signs on their doors in states/munis where carry is allowed. I've carried twice in the LongHorns here in Manhattan, KS as well as the Olive Garden (also a Darden chain) and had no problems or odd looks whatsoever. I plan to support this company as much as possible.

C-dub

LongHorn is a Darden Restaurants chain. Darden does not allow managers to post "no guns allowed" signs on their doors in states/munis where carry is allowed. I've carried twice in the LongHorns here in Manhattan, KS as well as the Olive Garden (also a Darden chain) and had no problems or odd looks whatsoever. I plan to support this company as much as possible.

That is great. I didn't see any when we were there, so the next time we go I'll be OCing all the way.

C-dub

I'm moving my family to Corpus Christi in a couple months. I hope we get our Arizona permits before we get down there, since open carry is not allowed. I think we're going to love Texas, but I'd love for OC to be an option.

Corpus is nice. There's a shotgun guy down there that is supposed to be the man when it comes to shotguns.

I never thought I would be an OC kind of guy, but after biting the bullet and doing it for a few days I am intrigued. I think it might have been a little easier because it was a place I don't live. Might be different at home where I will see many of the same people often. We haven't gotten OC done here in Texas the past couple of sessions, but maybe the next one. I read where Arkansas is becoming the 45th state to allow OC. Texas is slowly becoming the Illinois of OC.

logunowner

I live in Missouri but visit my daughter and family in Olathe quite often. I went to the Lenexa Costco on Thursday of last week(6-20) open carrying as I always do. After walking around the store for 15 or 20 minutes the Assistant Store Manager and his Security Guard approach and asks what I am doing. I told them that Kansas is an open carry state and I did not see any signs in front of the store that said I couldn't and that I had open carried here before. The Security Guard spoke up and said there are no Conceal Carry signs and I stated that I did not see them and that they would not apply to me anyway. The Manager at this point said for me to continue and if there was an issue he would catch up with me later. I shopped for another 30 minutes and nothing was said.
I know that Costco is suppose to be a no carry store, but I did that day and several times before at that store.