• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where'd you O.C. today and how'd it go?

Super6O

So, while at O'reilly auto parts on pawnee and hillside in Wichita, I had a semi-negative encounter.

There are two employees behind the counter, one looking up the parts i asked for, one just standing around.

After a minute, the standing around guy looks over and says jokingly (but loud enough for the whole store to hear) "Hey, this "suspicious" characters got a gun over here!"

I interpreted his demeanor as him not being negative, just having no tact.

What if someone at the rear of the store couldnt see what was up and freaked upon hearing him.

Wont return to this store...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

protias

So, while at O'reilly auto parts on pawnee and hillside in Wichita, I had a semi-negative encounter.

There are two employees behind the counter, one looking up the parts i asked for, one just standing around.

After a minute, the standing around guy looks over and says jokingly (but loud enough for the whole store to hear) "Hey, this "suspicious" characters got a gun over here!"

I interpreted his demeanor as him not being negative, just having no tact.

What if someone at the rear of the store couldnt see what was up and freaked upon hearing him.

Wont return to this store...

Did you talk with the manager afterwards?

Super6O

The manager was the one ringing me out. She was who his statement was directed to

Buckwheat

Cruze on my Harley

Today I rode thru Lawrence and headed south to Ottawa Kansas passing thru main street and out of the south end towards Garnett. My destination was the city/lake park and a lap around the old famous sports car race track to remember some of my racing memories. On the way back I stopped in Ottawa at a Chinese Buffet restaurant for some pretty good food.

All the time I was oc'n a J frame S&W snubbie in a desantis pancake holster,,during the entire trip thru crowded Ottawa and exasperating Lawrence traffic, not once did anyone pay any notice to my oc weapon and that includes when I stopped to fuel up.

Gil223

BIkers have guns too...

I was riding OC on my motorcycle going home from Impact Guns indoor range today, when I had a FIRST! Some guy driving a Mustang pulled up on my right side at a stop light, and said, "Nice gun!" I looked over and simply said, "Thank you, it's one of my favorite Glocks". The light changed to green and I was gone. Never before have I had anybody say "Nice gun" when I was wearing my T-shirt that reads, "Honk if you've never seen a gun fired from a motorcycle" on the back. Usually they just stare... but, I have had about 6 honks while wearing that T in the last 4 years. When that happens I just put my thumb-n-index finger gun up in the air and 'fire' it. Pax...

TexasOC

I'm working in Wichita again this week, and have been OCing my Glock 21 pretty much everywhere I've been.

The Good:
Had lunch at Walt's Famous Hamburgers the other day. Pretty lady at the counter says to me "I love a man with metal." Talked about our respective arsenals for a minute. Their burgers aren't too bad, either.

The Non-Events:
Westlake Ace Hardware on Seneca/Pawnee
Hupp Hardware on Harry/Mead
Grainger on West St.
Walmart Market on West/Central
Walmart on Broadway/Pawnee
Taco Shop on West/Central
Several QuikTrips

The Bad(-ish):
Goebel Liquor on N. West Street. It's too bad they aren't OC friendly, because they have a great store. Huge variety of craft beers and wine. Anyway, I walk in and there are three gentlemen at the counter. One says hello, and I return the pleasantry. While I was perusing their beers, I overheard their conversation: "Hey, that guy's got a gun." "Oh ****. Don't we have a no gun sign on the door?" "No, not that I've noticed." One of them then goes outside to look for a gunbuster sign. By the time he comes back in, I had just paid for my beer. He tells me that for future reference, he would prefer if I didn't bring my gun in the store. I basically told him no problem, it's your store, you can make any rule you want, but don't expect me to spend money here anymore. I later emailed the owner to encourage him/her not to turn away paying customers, but I have yet to receive a response. (It should be noted that our interaction was pleasant. The employees were very respectful and not at all snobby. But still.)

bravo68

I have OCed in Olathe while out on walks and have had no problems but few noticed my gun, I'll wager.

tcbrad98

I find that few,if any notice my open carrying in olathe.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk

Buckwheat

Sunday trip to Walmart in Bonner Springs

I was desperate for some weed n' feed to spread out on my lawn on Sunday morning. I ran over to the Walmart in Bonner to pick up a bag from their lawn and garden department. I went in and asked the employee in the lawn dept where the item I wanted was located and he directed me over to the correct Isle. I found the fertilizer I needed and next to me was a gentleman looking at the grass seed while I was picking up my fertilizer. I went to the check out and paid and carried my purchase out to my car and away I went. All the time I was carrying a J frame in a nice looking leather pancake holster.

I saw no I-drops or anyone that seemed to notice that I was armed. This method of carry sure beats having to wear a cover garment during the hot humid summer days we will be getting in about a month or so. Just for general info,,,, Bonner has never had any restrictions on open carry in the past,,even before there was concealed carry in Kansas. People are getting accustomed to the second amendment I'm sure.

mynameiscolb

Necro bump!

I'm from Oklahoma but had some business in Kansas this week. I OC'd (license free) in Pratt and Medicine Lodge. Nobody seemed to notice except a gas station clerk who said "Gotta love constitutional carry!", to which I smiled and agreed.

Really glad our neighbors to the north allow you to excercise your free right, even as a resident of another state. Oklahoma needs to get the ball rolling.

Last edited:

campfire

Thanks for the post! The clerk probably had it a bit wrong, as Kansas has been a permit-free OC state forever (albeit with some local exceptions preempted previously). Recent Constitutional Carry brought permit-free concealed carry to the mix. But certainly the thought and spirit were right on!

Rusty Young Man

Saw an OCer at IHOP in Olathe on Sunday--I think his group left right away, presumably because of the wait time to get a table. Anyone here?

Did I miss their Free Pancake Day again?! :(

I've yet to get a taste of their free pancakes. They're always full to capacity and a crowd of folks outside by the time I get there (yeah, work gets in the way of a lot of fun things).