• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

We are running on a new server!

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
The last few weeks have been a royal pain as the old server bounced over and over and over.

I have now migrated the forum to a new server with double the memory and a much faster CPU.

I suspect there will be issues we will need to address and as you notice them, please post them here.

Thanks in advance for helping us make this move as painless as possible.

John

Last edited:

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
You are clearly "The Man", John.

It's great to be here.

Are you still in law school?

Thanks! :)

I am done. I took the Bar Exam in July and will hopefully get the results around October 15th. Hopefully I will not need to retake in February. :)

John

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
John,

FYI - Although the forum was initially quite quick, it has slowed down notably since then - I would say that it is now not only slower, but also at time I've gotten a 404 or similar (cannot load) error.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I am having no problems, thanks.

Refrigertor humor:

Ring Ring

John: Hello
Caller: Is your server running?
John: Yes
Caller: Better go catch it!

:banana:

Maine Expat

Hi John,

Hope things are running smoother for ya'll. I keep getting the verification thing before I can read or post. If you recall I live in Ukraine so the foreign server likely pops a flag up. Do we need to re-white list my IP again? 95.135.103.236

Spasibo

hermannr

The last few weeks have been a royal pain as the old server bounced over and over and over.

I have now migrated the forum to a new server with double the memory and a much faster CPU.

I suspect there will be issues we will need to address and as you notice them, please post them here.

Thanks in advance for helping us make this move as painless as possible.

John

Hej John!

What happened to the state summeries? (ie www.opencarry.org/wa.html

hermannr

since9

Campaign Veteran
Response time over the last forty minutes has been VERY slow. Could be the system is running a backup, but done right, that should slow it down to no less than 85% of normal. Things are currently around 40% or less of normal throughput.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Response time over the last forty minutes has been VERY slow. Could be the system is running a backup, but done right, that should slow it down to no less than 85% of normal. Things are currently around 40% or less of normal throughput.

Seems to be the way it is .. veryyyy slowww

If more $$ was spent, it was money down the drain .... if speed was a goal that is

E6chevron

Clicking on the symbol for "go to last post" brings up the first post without text, and no other posts from the thread.

Last edited:

hermannr

Hej John!

Hope this posts. I have tried to post a couple replys today...fails to post, Explorer comes back the bad connection screen. 2.7 ghz AMD Athalon, Windows XP, IE 7, Verizon 4G hot spot (off a 3G tower) at 3 bars. Still should transfer at 760k..link between hot spot and computer at 54 meg. Max transfer rate to OCDO 24k, average transfer rate closer to OCDO about 3k,

Hope you are not having "Sandy" problems.

Hermannr

since9

Campaign Veteran
Details!

I'd like to know the details behind your new server, John, as the forum just flat out zips! I have a far smaller forum, and it's performance is adequate, but I wouldn't mind bumping it up a bit.

PakRatJR

Kudos' on the new server. :cool:

Slight issue tho.....at least on my end.

Slow.....MAJOR slow, both loading the site itself and loading posts. Like dial-up slow, For at least a good month now. And a new issue today, which prompted this post. When I click a topic, I have several times got a grey screen that says something to the effect of.....site cannot be found.

I click back to the main page and try it again and it comes up. But again, major slow.

Don't have issues on other sites/forums so I am guessing it's a server thing?

Last edited:

RCall

Slow.....MAJOR slow, both loading the site itself and loading posts. Like dial-up slow, For at least a good month now. And a new issue today, which prompted this post. When I click a topic, I have several times got a grey screen that says something to the effect of.....site cannot be found.

I click back to the main page and try it again and it comes up. But again, major slow.

I just got that message too:

Website currently unavailable

The website you are trying to access is currently unavailable. Please try again at a later time.
If you are the site owner, here is a help resource to help resolve the issue.

Lasjayhawk

I'm getting it too. But, I'm also getting very slow operation on nevadashooters.com and philcoradio.com

Acts like DOS attacks on many boards.

LkWd_Don

I have been getting that for two days now, Its a round circle with an (!) exclamation point in it, saying cannot connect to the server.

When I get it, I can go to the www.opencarry.org main page, and it loads just fine, but when I try to click on Forums, it takes forever and then I get that screen. It was happening intermittently all day yesterday, last night, and again today.