• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Drop Leg Holsters

Tucker6900

I use a drop leg when going to the range. Its more comfortable and I consider it another "toy" thats fun to use.

I have only once used to to OC on a normal day. I already had my belt on, and didnt feel like removing it to put my blackhawk serpa 2 on so I threw it on real quick and ran to the store.

DWCook

Activist Member
I've considered getting a drop leg holster as my old favorite GEN 3 G35 .40 caliber is my regular carry. Just have'nt found one I would consider for myself as of recently.

DeltaOps

I use a Drop Leg for my Glock 21. I do not always use it when I am out and about, but I have and I will again. Main reason I bought it was for camping, fishing, hunting, target shooting and shooting on the move drills. I bought a UTG Tactical that also allows for me to attach my tac light. I have not had any issues when I am out as of yet. People in the forums say they are concerned about the image it may put out for OC. SERIOUSLY? Wow. I am OCing, if someone does not like how I legally OC, they can kiss my ass. The only thing I do not like about the drop leg.... Is when I am driving. It makes it a little more difficult to draw should I ever have too. Other than that, I like it and plan on buying a BlackHawk in the near future to go with my BH CQC Serpa.

xxx.jakk.xxx

I have used a Drop Leg for my XDm 40 many a time without a problem. They are very comfortable and, if you wear them correctly, aren't very much different looking from a normal holster. The problem is that most people wear them extremely low so they get uncomfortable, swing around and look very detached from you belt.

Pretty much, you wear them high and tight on your thigh, not low around your knee area. The way I think of it is that your arm should still have a bend when you have your hand on the grip of your gun rather than being extended completely or you having to bend to get it.

Much like how this one is. it's pretty high with only about 2-3 inches between the belt and holster. Just enough drop to put it on your thigh while still having great control
m-12_dle_med1.jpg

I actually took a Serpa and rigged it to work as a drop leg. It works quite well but I also have the nylon larger drop legs and they work, too.

xxx.jakk.xxx

Man I hate that holster. So glad that I don't have to use it anymore.

Lol. It looks like wearing that one I posted a picture of would be terrible for speed drawing. I just use a Serpa as a drop leg...

Aknazer

Lol. It looks like wearing that one I posted a picture of would be terrible for speed drawing. I just use a Serpa as a drop leg...

Ya I use a serpa now. But prior to deploying the one you posted a pic of is what we were issued to train with, only it was attached to the belt instead of the leg.

Paul En Noir

I'm thinking about picking up a drop leg holster for winter carry. Just depends on how cold the Vegas winters get. I'm used to weeks of single digits in Illinois.

In LV, it doesn't get notably cold. Last winter it hit the freezing point a few times around midnight. But it'll most likely translate to brisk fall weather in IL. You should be perfectly comfortable in a Letterman style jacket, or a heavy sweatshirt. That said, there's the chance that a Letterman will roll over a low hip holster and sweatshirts kinda look doofy tucked in. So, a drop-leg may be what you're looking for.

My first drop-leg was a sewing-kit special. I used a luggage strap for the thigh band with a standard holster, and 2 mini-luggage straps to hold that up. I put the mini straps 2 inches forward and behind of the holster, stitched to the thigh band and with loops on top for my belt, and cut the luggage strap to length with the buckle between my legs. it didn't look terrible, and wasn't notably uncomfortable. Of course, being custom made, it fit like... well, like it was custom made. Only problem was (or maybe an advantage I couldn't use) with the overall lay out, a little lace around the edges and it would have been a very sexy ladies garter.

MrSnow

My name is Alexander :] I've been 18 since January and I just learned a few days ago that I can legally open-carry. I live in Owensboro, KY, a small [~52,000] city where not a lot of people open-carry (I've only seen a few, only one that I can remember.) I'm saving up for a Glock 23, and I think that I'm going to buy the thumb drive holster from 5.11 and the drop-leg holster adapter, and I'm thinking when I go running with shorts I'll use the hip holster, and walking around with pants generally I think I'll use the drop-leg holster unless I run into trouble with too many complaints.

solus

mr. snow, welcome to the forum by a wanderer...but wanted to point out you kinda, sorta ping'd open a 4 year olde thread...

i am sure the lads will be bounding in who might have more experience than i, but drop down of OC'g is kinda a turn off for JQPublic...

might wish to reconsider your purchase after the rest of the gang weights in...

but again welcome...

ipse

ps: you might received guidance about your firearm purchase also...just saying

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

Personally I find drop leg holsters a pain they leave ones firearm lot more exposed.

They are usefully if one has a lot of other gear around your waist and can't place a normal waist holster on.

cabledawg

Holy necrothread!

I still have my dropleg, but it's been set aside for the bug out setup along with my shotgun scabbard and ammo pouches. It is nice to wear at times (especially driving long distance) but it will garner more attention around town. I don't typically criticize others carry gear, but honestly a good duty belt and hip holster will do you better than a dropleg for everyday carry.

Freedom1Man

I prefer the drop leg. It allows me to draw swiftly from my hand's resting position. Only one smooth motion to draw and use.

Little tricky to wear with chaps on a motorcycle or horse though. Horseback I prefer shoulder holsters.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

wimwag

I have a few drop holsters and I like them just fine for driving and sitting but I'm very active and after a while they all start to slide. Until they start making affordable pants with molle attachments to keep the pistol still, I will use OWB.

The "mall ninja" comments are made by those who are confusing their own personal preference with someone else's. Carry how you like.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
Well, 4 years is something but I haven't assisted in necroposting in a long time so ....

I have and use a dropleg, but not a lot and not for daily OC. I find a dropleg is comfy for certain types of outdoor work and for some hiking conditions if wearing long pants and like activities. That being the case, the only reason I am OC dropleg in a town is for a quick stop for materials, gas, food or the like. I prefer strong side belt carry for daily OC for various reasons.

xFourellsx

I have one for my g19. I don't wear it going out to dinner or to the store or anywhere that has a lot of people around. It's mostly for camping, long driving, going to the range, working in the yard or building something in the garage, working in tight spaces. I only wear black pants with it as well.

The drop leg for me is the most comfortable systems that I have. I have long arms and my hand naturally just wants to rest on it. That alone can be taken the wrong way in the sight of others so to avoid that I just don't wear it in high public areas. To each their own though.