• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to the forum and have a Colorado Springs open carry question.

darthkevin

Hi to all, and thanks in advance for all help on the following question.

Ok I am new to the idea of open carry. I am orignally from Oregon and when I lived there, there weren't a lot of people that open carried. Here is my questions...1 Where is it illegal to open carry. 2 Where would a sign be posted that carry is not allowed in a business. 3 As a 1911 owner what condition can I carry my pistol in. I would really like to have a sit down with a few of you so I can get the uneasy feeling of open carry out of my mind. If you have any suggestions on a sit down hit me up I am always down to meet like minded people. Again thanks for the help!

PikesPeakMtnMan

Welcome aboard...there's a few of us OCing around the Springs (rarely myself though).

1. It is illegal to carry into schools (or property if you don't have a CHP), federal buildings and of course, you can't carry past metal detectors. If you venture out of the Springs, the above is still true no matter where you go in Colorado until you hit Denver city limits, where OC is totally prohibited, so don't carry there unless you have a concealed permit.
2. Colorado Springs city-owned buildings have a blue signs on entry doors at eye level stating that OPEN carry isn't allowed. By law, they can't prohibit legal concealed carry. These include places such as Pioneers Museum, the airport and Memorial Hospital. Private businesses are allowed to post whatever sign they like, there isn't any sort of standard.
3. Legally, you can carry your pistol in whatever condition you like.
4. We do occasional meet-and-greets at various locations now and then there's a member in Aurora who seems to like meeting up with new OCers to help them get over their nervousness, I'm sure he'll be around shortly to introduce himself.

rushcreek2

Welcome! I'm not the best source for a personal get-together due to the fact that I'm out of town so often - but there are several members who will gladly respond on that. I just wanted to respond to your question regarding locations where you may not OC.

I recently renewed my CHP, and Sheriff Maketa's CHP staffer advised me at some length against openly carrying in Manitou Springs, She said they are "not very gun-friendly in Manitou Springs". You can go to the their website and access the specific local ordinance which essentially prohibits open carry in any private "amusement" business premises. Decipher what you can from the definition of "amusement".

You can conceal carry with a CHP of course, but apparently Manitou Springs PD "frowns" upon the display of firearms in their little tourist trap. You can walk down the sidewalk in Manitou Springs OC'ing, but the El Paso County Sheriff's Office doesn't even recommend that.

I've never OC'd in Manitou Springs previously. Perhaps some members here have. Kind of a "Little Denver" thing going on there I suspect.

Last edited:

M-Taliesin

Howdy Amigo!
Your questions can be resolved pretty quickly and easily. The first, you can carry darn near everywhere. You cannot carry in government buildings such as city hall, court houses, etc. Government property that prohibit carry of firearms will tend to be posted, or have permanent metal detectors in place for the purpose of detecting firearms.
Outside of that, you can carry just about anywhere in the state of Colorado with the exception of the insurrectionist locations of Denver city and county. Their insurrection is against the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of Colorado. Just don't open carry in City and County of Denver, and you should be okay.

Second question is that it is illegal to carry on any property where you've been asked to leave. If asked to leave, do not argue or debate. Just simply leave. Otherwise, any delay can be used as a charge of trespass. However, that doesn't come up much around these parts, especially in Colorado Springs. Any business prohibiting OC outright must post signage to that affect at all entrances to their facility. If there ain't no such sign, you're good to go. Otherwise, don't even worry about it, as it is so incredibly rare.

Finally, I also carry a 1911. I carry locked and cocked. That being said, I've been asked by other citizens a few times "Do you know your hammer is back?" To which I answer "Yes. I certainly do!" Then I go on to explain that my pistol has a whole bunch of safety features to keep it from firing until I am ready to shoot. I show them how the holster covers the trigger so nothing can trip it. I show them that the pistol cannot be fired unless the grip safety is depressed by grasping the handle. I show them the primary safety engaged, and how it won't allow the slide to move or the weapon to be fired. Then I go on to explain the most important safety I have on the weapon: My own responsible condcut as an open carrier. The quality training I've taken to ensure safe conduct of my pistol, the many hours of practice I've invested on the range to be proficient, and the significant investment I have made in quality guns and holsters to ensure safety for myself and others around me. Once they see that I've not only thought things through, but acted in accord with some pretty high ideals, they relax and accept that I probably know what I'm doing. I like to close with saying "The cocked hammer is not nearly so threatening as the careless finger."

As to meeting up, visit the Springs regularly. Perhaps I can come down and meet up with you to help you through those first OC jitters you've described and show you some things around these parts that you might find interesting! I'm free for the time being, until I get a couple of new cases I've been expecting. Just drop me a line and I'd be happy to drop down and go OC'ing with you. Today would be good, and possibly tomorrow unless those cases come in, in which event I'd be headed toward Mesa County darn near immediately to effect a bit of legal business upon a defendant.

In the time it took to write this, a couple of other folks jumped in there, so if some of this is repetitious, my apology. I'd be that guy from Aurora who enjoys helping newcomers get over their jitters, and I've done so for a number of other folks. I'd be delighted to meet up with you and show you around.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Last edited:

M-Taliesin

I recently renewed my CHP, and Sheriff Maketa's CHP staffer advised me at some length against openly carrying in Manitou Springs, She said they are "not very gun-friendly in Manitout Springs".

Howdy Rush!
Did you happen to ask the staffer about state preemption as pertains to Manitou Springs?
The only city/county that is exempt from preemption is Denver.
No other city is free from preemption.
Them's the berries.

Of course, they can create whatever ordinances they like, as many towns have tried.
They are preempted regardless.
Sorta end of story.

Of course, they can try....
And they can also get sued, as other jurisdictions have.
Perhaps I willl take some time to visit Manitou Springs.
I could use a healthy payday!

As for 'amusements', they are probably referring to the big arcade in the center of town.
If that's the case, it must be posted in accord with state law at each entrance to the place so prohibited.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

rushcreek2

Howdy Rush!
Did you happen to ask the staffer about state preemption as pertains to Manitou Springs?
The only city/county that is exempt from preemption is Denver.
No other city is free from preemption.
Them's the berries.

Of course, they can create whatever ordinances they like, as many towns have tried.
They are preempted regardless.
Sorta end of story.

As for 'amusements', they are probably referring to the big arcade in the center of town.
If that's the case, it must be posted in accord with state law at each entrance to the place so prohibited.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M - The Manitou Springs website touts an ordinance that like you said doesn't appear to cut the legal mustard prohibiting the OPEN CARRY of firearms in said "amusement" businesses. I'm thinking their definition of "amusement" is probably alcohol related. Just my hunch.

Given the fact that I spent a total of 5 minutes having my picture re-took, answering some short questions related to my CHP renewal , and the staffer spent about ONE WHOLE MINUTE giving me the heads-up about being "careful about carrying in Manitou Springs , because they don't like guns very much up there." gave me the impression that there have probably been some OC issue's fluttering about in "Little Denver". It's pretty much OK to smoke pot up there though - so I've been told.

Last edited:

Kingfish

I've never OC'd in Manitou Springs previously. Perhaps some members here have. Kind of a "Little Denver" thing going on there I suspect.
When I came to visit a couple years ago we spent most of a whole day walking Manitou. Drank from every spring except two and went in a dozen shops. Nothing more than a couple hard looks. I was OCing a full size 9mm in shorts and a t-shirt.

Things could have changed the the last couple years though. That said, I personally would still not hesitate to OC there today and you can guarantee that when we move out there I will be.

SpringsColt

[/QUOTE]

Blessings,
M-Taliesin[/QUOTE]

How about moving the Meet and Greet to Manitou Springs? Just up the road really, from Centennial...(sly grin)...Let us know!

Cheers!

darthkevin

Blessings,
M-Taliesin[/QUOTE]

How about moving the Meet and Greet to Manitou Springs? Just up the road really, from Centennial...(sly grin)...Let us know!

Cheers![/QUOTE]

Ok so they have to post the no carry signs on the door to the establishment?

mobiushky

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Cheers!

Ok so they have to post the no carry signs on the door to the establishment?

Technically has to be posted on every public entrance.

Last edited:

fergo51

Thanks

I thank you all for the great info that is presented here. I am an OC person and think its awesome when people look strangely at me when I do. I have seen people say that there is no statute stating anything about OC. I just recently graduated a law enforcement academy and I have searched for a statute or anything that talks about it and I can't find anything. If anyone has any info on this or a website where it can be found it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again:banana:

O2HeN2

I have seen people say that there is no statute stating anything about OC... ...I have searched for a statute or anything that talks about it and I can't find anything.
As PPMM says, there's your answer. If it's not prohibited, it's allowed. In this case, lacking any laws addressing it, it's also backed up by the Colorado Constitution:

"The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property, or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called in question; but nothing herein contained shall be construed to justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons."

Ergo, Open Carry is allowed.

You're not going to find any laws allowing open carry, that's not how laws are written.

O2

Tneedham

Welcome! I'm not the best source for a personal get-together due to the fact that I'm out of town so often - but there are several members who will gladly respond on that. I just wanted to respond to your question regarding locations where you may not OC.

I recently renewed my CHP, and Sheriff Maketa's CHP staffer advised me at some length against openly carrying in Manitou Springs, She said they are "not very gun-friendly in Manitou Springs". You can go to the their website and access the specific local ordinance which essentially prohibits open carry in any private "amusement" business premises. Decipher what you can from the definition of "amusement".

You can conceal carry with a CHP of course, but apparently Manitou Springs PD "frowns" upon the display of firearms in their little tourist trap. You can walk down the sidewalk in Manitou Springs OC'ing, but the El Paso County Sheriff's Office doesn't even recommend that.

This is obviously an old thread, but I just wanted to mention that I open carried on the Incline and down the bar trail and only 1 person mentioned it. He simply said, "Is this an open carry state, is that why you can do that?" I told him it was and he asked if I needed a permit. I told him that I'm not from Colorado, and I am not a lawyer, but as far I knew a permit is not required. I did say that I recommended getting a CCW or CHP whatever CO calls it because of the information that you get during the class, and if you happened to drive through Denver you can throw your weapon under the seat and your good to go, or if you want to go out to eat like I did in denver, I through it in my briefcase and took it in.

Just thought I'd throw an update on here. Other than the conversation above, nobody mentioned anything to me at all.