• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HI continues to stonewall the RKBA...

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
As per an article in today's paper (Sunday, 3-25-12) of the Honolulu Star Advertiser:

"Request to tote gun in public rejected: The public interest outweighs a man's right to bear arms for his job, a judge rules"

"A federal judge has turned down the latest challenge to Hawaii gun control laws filed by an Aiea man who sought to carry a handgun in public. Christopher Baker contended that state laws violated his "right to bear arms" under the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. But on Wednesday Senior U.S. District Judge Alan Kay rejected Baker's request for an injunction that would have paved the way for him to carry a gun in public. Kay said Baker was not likely to prevail at a November trial on his lawsuit; that the public interest weighed in favor of turning down his request; and Baker had not shown he was "irreparably harmed."

<snip>

-- http://www.staradvertiser.com/newsp..._gun_in_public_rejected.html?id=144132495&c=n

I suppose one has to wait until one is maimed, killed or raped to show that he/she has suffered "irreparable harm" and so SHOULD have been issued a CC permit as requested. If so, then would said permit be nicely framed and awarded to the recipient - likely posthumously -- at a public ceremony, personally presented by the Honolulu Chief of Police himself: Louis "no-issue" Kealoha? Outrageous!

...and so the saga continues.

HI will have to be FORCED to change, despite OTHER federal district courts (as in Maryland's very recent Woollard v. Sheridan case) ruling (in part) that “At bottom, this case rests on a simple proposition: If the Government wishes to burden a right guaranteed by the Constitution, it may do so provided that it can show a satisfactory justification and a sufficiently adapted method. The showing, however, is always the Government‘s to make. A citizen may not be required to offer a good and substantial reason why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.”

Additionally, IMO everyone has a "satisfactory justification" to carry: Everyone has a LIFE to protect! Period. So I would add THAT idea to the above ruling. Also, that EVERY STATE must allow its citizens at least ONE way to exercise the complete 2nd Amendment (BOTH the "keep" and "bear" parts): Each state MUST have either OC or CC (and I mean SHALL-issue, none of that MAY-issue BS).

OCing may be WAY too frightening to "the authorities" of HI presently (not sure if citizens would be as frightened, maybe they WOULD be since they've been UNarmed for so many years since 1959 -- statehood -- and may be USED to it) but it's hard enough getting "gun is out of sight" CC recognized, as seen in this HI federal district judge's "legal wisdom."

And of course, I see word "burdening" used by the judge above of any RIGHT is actually an "infringement" but that's another topic...

Last edited:

carracer

Is there anyone in HI actually working toward making this state at least a little 2a friendly? I used to think I would like to take the wife to Hawaii. Last few years have decided no way I spend my vacation dollars there. Added to my list of states not to go.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
carracer,

Chris Baker has been working on it, and despite the setbacks, I don't think he's giving up just yet. As I've said though, HI is going to be a hard nut to crack, but IN TIME I believe change is going to happen...at the very least, going to Shall-Issue (whether Governor Abercrombie and Police Chief Louis "no-issue" Kealoha likes it or not).

But [whispering] you can always do what a number of people already do over there: Carry (CC) anyway. It's sad, however, that HI citizens (and tourists as well) have to become criminals just to look out for their personal safety -- and there's enough crime to look out for over there (and really anywhere you go/live nowadays).

As for the criminals in HI, they already ARE criminals so they don't care! ;-)

I know HI being anti-gun is not going to keep me away, but I HOPE that by the time I get there things will have improved. If not, I'll be joining those kama'aina presently working on this issue and see what help I can be...

Last edited: